BonsaiPam
Newly Registered

Newbie needs advice

Hi,
I received a Ficus tiger bark for mothers day and was SO EXCITED. I wanted to try my hand at Bonsai for a long time. I've watched the soil and when dry watered until it dripped from the bottom. The soil is still moist on the top, but the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I moved it in case there was a draft and that didn't help. It's inside in a sunny room - but not indirect sunlight. I'm wondering if it's the soil or the pot maybe too small. It was purchased from a nursery so I would think the soil and pot size should be ok.
Pam

IndorBonsai

Your Ficus may be just adapting to its new home/environment. It sounds like your giving it proper care and not over watering it.
If we can get a picture of your tree and the soil it is in we can help you figure out what the problem might be.

BonsaiPam
Newly Registered

Thanks Jason - I'll take a picture and post it tomorrow.
Pam

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Just use the toothpick method to water as needed and wait a few weeks. Don't fertilize, don't change things around. Ficus are notorious leaf-droppers when moved.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I've watched the soil and when dry watered until it dripped from the bottom.
This may not be the cause of the problem, but in the long run this will help: the soil of a ficus should go near dry, but not loose all its moisture before being watered again.

BonsaiPam
Newly Registered

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for your input. I really like this plant and want to do everything I can to keep it healthy. I wasn't able to get the picture to post, I'll have to figure that out later. But, I did water it last night and misted it too. I think the misting was a good idea - it absorbed the "mist" very quickly and seemed pretty happy afterwards. Thanks again!
Keeping my fingers crossed,
Pam

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”