Tee
Newly Registered

Bonsai is dying..or could be dead :(

My bonsai tree that my boyfriend gave me for christmas (which I named lovefern) suffered a truma when traveling...and was wrecked..forcing us to replant it which I think may have destroyed the roots. it seemed alright at first..but when I went away for a couple of days, it was left on my desk in my room and was exposed to alot of heat and sunshine. Now the colour doesnt look as green, as its turning more greyish. And its dry, with its spiky things (leaves) falling off. Help! I love it and don't want it to die :(

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Tee, let me get this, you dumped it, repotted it and then left it a couple days with no care? This tree you love? I hope the boyfriend is insured... :lol:

Okay; emergency care. Basin of tepid water a little deeper than the pot. Soak for an hour. Now outside in the shade with lots of cool misting (summer there, so more humidity the better, especially cool mist). Don't fetilize, prune of anything that goes all the way brown, and wait. If you feel the need to abandon it again, try a plastic bag over the lot after another soaking. Write back with happy news, but know that Lovefern is in ICU and she's critical; you are the doctor...

Scott

Tee
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for replying so quickly! I really appreciate it. I put lovefern into the basin of water that same day, right afte reading your reply. I then put him outside where he has been for the last 2 days, but have since brought him back inside. He still looks a little bit sick..But I do think there was an improvement, so fingers crossed that he recovers! :) My next question is...Is it bad to keep my bonsai inside (in my bedroom)? Because I wanted it in there where I can look at it everyday..But if its just going to kill him then I guess I should leave him outside..Or can I bring him in and out..alternating the days or something? lol This is my first ever time caring for a plant. Thanks for all the help.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Tee

Indoors is where we keep trees as little as possible. Outside is always a better bet; inside can be literally desert dry. SPend time with the tree for sure, but outside. C'mon it's warm now, right? :D

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”