FritoLay30
Newly Registered

my bonsai condition in louisiana's climate... problems.

I received a lovely Juniper bonsai for christmas from my fiance. I live in central Louisiana; and, like all of the weather in the southeast during winter, it is 40 degrees one day and 75 degrees the next. I understand the dormancy factor for my juniper during the winter months. I also realize the importance of keeping it outside.

my main concern is for my tree's condition with the unpredictable weather of louisiana. the unseasonably warm weather that we are having this winter has, I'm afraid, shocked my bonsai. it is still fairly young (approx. 3 years), and I am worried about some very minimal browning on the underside of the tree. also, the base of many branches is a pale green tint. I water it enough. and I keep it in an area outside where plenty of sunshine can reach my bonsai.

is my bonsai in jeopardy outside in this crazy, warm, Louisiana weather? is the browning, though minimal, normal? any suggestions would be greatly appeciated... thank you.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Easy there, Bobby. Japanese garden juniper, right? Like from Japan? Where it's Zone 8-9, and taifuns blow in all the time? Your weather is probably a bit closer to southern Japan, but your tree should be fine. Bring it in if it goes below freezing (Yeah, right :roll: ) but other than that it's going to be fine.

Same with what you're describing. Shading will cause browning and the lower part of the tree is going to get more shade. You should be pinching back new growth and pruning out to thin growth. Branches should have airflow in between, especially in hot humid areas where fungii can be problematic. Offsetting branches to allow for sun to reach them can help too. As branches get lignous (woody) they will shed some old needles; if you have healthy green growth at the tips, it's all good...

Just like the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy says, "DON'T PANIC!"

:D

Good luck, Bobby

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”