michaewlewis

My Japanese Juniper is browning!

I got my juniper in July from an oriental guy that said it was twelve years old and it has just started browning. I have kept it indoors since I've had it. (mistake?) The strange thing about it is, it didn't start browning until we bought our Christmas Tree a few weeks ago. Could the xmas tree have brought some sort of disease or bugs into the house that is affecting it? I noticed the dirt moving a little in one spot this morning, so I think it might have some sort of bugs.
What should I do to save this old and expensive tree?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Browning at the tips, or all over?

HG

michaewlewis

It's browning all over, but in spots.

michaewlewis

Here are a few pics of the bonsai, if it helps diagnose the poor old thing.

[img]https://www.visualperceptionmedia.com/temp/DSCN1820.JPG[/img]

[img]https://www.visualperceptionmedia.com/temp/DSCN1821.JPG[/img]

[img]https://www.visualperceptionmedia.com/temp/DSCN1822.JPG[/img]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The tree is probably about three years old and the amount of root space in those "pond" pots is not enough for a tree this size. It may be just that, but if we can get you to spring, you might be able to repot into a full pot and save it.

The one thing that might have come in with the Xmas tree would be mites and they love to attack (and are at their most active) when it's hot and dry (like in a heated home). First buy some neem oil from a good garden center (easy to spot; if they have neem oil they're a good garden center).Spray the plant, then find somewhere cool; to put it. It's a greenhouse plant right now because of the way they treated it, but we need a cool room, say 50's. Screen porch, garage that isn't too cold (below freezing on nights). Indirect brightish light. Water once a week or so (it'll be sleepy and won't need so much water). This addresses bothissues; we'll talk you through a repot in the spring...

HG

michaewlewis

At my apartment, I have a balcony, kinda. It's really just some stairs going down to the parking lot. It's not protected at all from the Idaho weather that ranges from 10* to 35* in the winter. Is it safe to put it outside with these conditions? I just read the post by opabinia51 and learned not to put it by the window, which I was just about to do. I'm still a little confused as to where I should put it that would be the most beneficial.

I sprayed some neem oil on the tree today. Followed the directions on the bottle of concentrate and those of the employee at ZamZows. It sounds like some pretty dangerous stuff! If you get it on your skin, you'rs supposed to "get medical attention." Wow!
Anyways, how long should I leave the tree alone before I touch it again? I don't want to get any of that neem oil on me! And how often should I spray it?

thanks.

michaewlewis

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Quick note; at a trade show, so no time...

Neem oil is about harmless; Indian folks brush their teeth with twigs from this tree. If someone is telling you this is harmful, they don't know much...

If you don't have an area like I noted, then indirect bright light in the coolest area you can think of, but sooner or later you have to find the spot I talked about, or the long term for your tree is not great...

Scott

michaewlewis

do you think I could build some sort of a mini green house and put it outside? If so, how would I put it together?

Thanks again for all your help!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Here is a website:

https://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/greenhou/building.htm

But, what I do is just buy some 2x2x8's and cut them into 4 2x2's and 4 1x1's (or change the dimensions based on the height and width or your bonsai). I use small nails to nail the pieces together to form a little greenhouse and then just measure out a piece of clear undustrial strength plastic and staple it to the greenhouse. Cut down the corners of the plastic about 1 foot.

Really easy and really cheap and they work like a charm.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That'd work nicely; just keep an eye for truly evil weather (it's been unseasonally warm here)

Scott

michaewlewis

I made a 2'x2'x2' greenhouse for my plant a couple months ago but I'm wondering if it's too cold for it. I have a small lamp mounted at the top of the greenhouse that helps a little with the temp. I assume that the light should not be on at night, but turning it off doesn't keep it much above freezing inside. Do I need to worry about this?

When would be the best time to replant my bonsai in a bigger pot?

pophetzler
Newly Registered

Unless you have a considerable investment in this specimin I suggest going to the local nursery this spring and getting another and train you own. Yours sounds like its ready for the beginners heap. I've never had a juniper recover after it starts seriously browning, particularly if it was exposed to extreme cold or not watered properly. Both ways it will eventually croak. It needs to be outside too. DH.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Pop,

If he's keeping the juniper aroound freezing, and watering once a month, it may be just the break the tree needs to mend...OR it could be full blown phomopsis; can'y tell without cutting into it and I would have a hard time diagnosing that from grainy e-images...Best we can do is wait for spring and new shoots...

HG

michaewlewis

It would be great if my plant would survive because it was a very expensive gift (about $140) from my inlaws for college graduation. They're the kind of people who would be upset with anyone who, directly or indirectly, caused such an expensive gift to die. They wouldn't say anything about it, but you can sure feel the disappointment. If you know what I mean.
All the help is extremely appreciated!
So, if I'm understanding correctly, I don't need to worry about the plant being in freezing weather? What should I do when it starts warming up?
And if it has the Phomopsis or Kabatina fungus, what is the best thing to do to treat it? I still have plenty of neem oil... will that do anything?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Need a systemic for twig blight (goes into the heartwood)...and if they give a bonsai as a gift it is on their head (did it to a boss as a wedding gift and learned a valuable lesson; I don't gift trees anymore).

Systremic fungicides are nasty things and should be used only in extreme emergency. Any chance we could get new pics? Freezing IS a concern, but only as far as roots go; the top is certainly used to it. Moisture is a concern as well; I would've sprayed anti-dessicant. I'm worried about the reaction of a weaakened, winterized tree waking up to a drench of systemic fungicide...if we can avoid it we should...

This is NOT your fault. I'll write you a note if you need one :lol:

Scott
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaewlewis

you can look at the pictures of my bonsai on my server
[url]https://www.onewayyouth.net/michael/bonsai/[/url]

thanks for the help

michaewlewis

here's some higher quality pictures to help come up with a treatment of some kind.

[url]https://www.onewayyouth.net/michael/bonsai/[/url]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A LOT of salt accumulations around the soil which looks AWFUL wet...

What has been your watering practice Mike?

HG

michaewlewis

well, I feel the soil about once a week and see if it is damp at all. if it is, I don't water right away.... otherwise, I water every two to three weeks.
When I water it, I fill the sink with water and dunk the pot in it and leave it in the water for about 15 minutes and then put it back in its greenhouse.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

So pics were right after a watering then?

Dunking every time is not a great way to water all the time as it does not move gases or rinse salts. Find a way to water from above (wetting and cleaning foliage preferably). Shower with your tree! :lol:

Here's an article I wrote on watering...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/03/care.html[/url]

HG

michaewlewis

actually the pics were about two weeks after watering.

what should I do about the salt accumulations?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Water. With pure water (I use a faucet purifier for me AND my trees)

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”