abg
Newly Registered

it's a hard rock life (for my bonsai)

I'm a bonsai newbie looking for any help or advice someone could give me.

Though there is something particular I am wondering about. My bonsai is in a plastic pagoda (that's what the a guide called it) it has earth in the bottom, but it is covered on the top with a half inch layer of pebbles. I initially though they were for decoration, but have since discovered that they are infact solid. Now what I mean by this is that the rocks themselves are stuck together. Is this a reflection of the care that I am putting in to my bonsai, or is it simply a poorly fabricated garnish?

Here are some pictures.

[img]https://www.geocities.com/ablueguitar/IMG_1067.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.geocities.com/ablueguitar/IMG_1068.jpg[/img]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

This looks to me like it is a fabricated garnish. There's nothing wrong with a plastic bonsai pot, one of my trees is one.

It looks to me like your bonsai is a Juniper, am I correct. I would say that it needs to be thinned. Really thinned down. The HG has several lovely styles of trees ranging from classical to non classical styles.

A couple of good bonsai books are always useful to have. And there is a ton of information on the website on bonsai. Anyway, good luck with your little tree.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's a crappy garnish big greenhouses put on trees so they can ship a long way without soil falling out...remove it carefully and replace with moss (found or if not available, then florists sheet moss (hobby stores also carry it for train sets...).

A pagoda is a temple structure, it is a plastic bon (pot. Sai means tree) Watch out for sleazy salesmen... :roll:

Scott

advent_jester
Newly Registered

Hello, I am the bonsai newbie's friend, the one that bought him the bonsai. Since this "bon" is crappy and plastic, would it be beneficial for the plant, or even just for looks, to repot it into something nicer? And with that in mind, is it advisable?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You are a good friend to even ask, and the answer is yes.

Look at the name bonsai. Two parts, two things, and the Japanese look at one almost as much as the other. There are folks who just collect pots, and some are ancient and legendary in the community. The most beautiful tree can be spoiled by a poor pot selection. In her book, The Living Art of Bonsai, Dr. Amy Liang says "If a fine tree is planted in an unsuitable pot, it will look unpleasing and lack stability and harmony, or the pot may become the dominant element and detract from the overall beauty of the design." Shiny black plastic can do that.

I like unglazed pots for a few reasons. One, they breath. Sure, soaks a little water, but helps with gas exchange and even moisture in the pot (soaking it can offer a bit of a resevoir). Two, it has a very natural look. Dr. Liang says "The selction of the potis important because it the viwer to imagine the potted tree growing in its natural environment." I think unglazed does that best. I save glazed, colored pots for flowering trees, evergreens, especially needles, are traditionally shown in earthware. I like the dark Japanese "mud" pots (seen some decent Korean dark pots lately) And I really like Chinese red clay (sometimes called purple clay) Really breathes, nice styles; if I could only get them to stop scribbling on it! (Often has line drawings or calligraphy painted or scratched in).

It is NOT advisable to repot until spring, so you have sometime to gather the perfect pot. Don't feel the need to get a set, the black plastic humidity trays work great. Sorry to bash your gift, Advent, but it is what it is. Bonsai can be a long term reminder when given as a gift and it's a nice thought. As plastic pots go, I've seen lots worse... :)

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”