Rita
Newly Registered

Variegated Schefflera (Hawaiian umbrella tree) bonsai

I was just given a Variegated Schefflera bonsai for Christmas...it's beautiful, but needs to be pruned, according to the giver...I have no idea when, what shape, etc. Can you please help me out with suggestions and time periods for pruning?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Take a look in the website, Scott has several shapes posted. Not knowing your tree, I can't say what would look best though.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I have a schefflera I started from cuttings decades ago. Give up on any particular style with this one, and just make a form that makes you happy. Wiring tears them up, and they break every which way. I just pinch out anything that grows outside the shape I like, but I go in hard, 'cuz this one grows back fast. So get it a little naked, and then grow it back out; that's how to get new growing points back. This is called clip and grow, and it's a more Chinese style, so you can start telling people "It's not a bonsai, it's a penjing." DOn't explain it's more mysterious... :wink:

Scott

Rita
Newly Registered

:D Thank you, Scott! I'll try going in hard and then pinching what doesn't belong...I like the idea of just making it to my own liking! I appreciate the information and suggestion...I feel better about it and love the mysterious comment I can make about it being a penjing to anyone who asks what it is! Rita

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Cool. Have fun; they're not the most aesthetic tree, but they're easy and after a while they do start to look great. Mine is the oldest tree I have...

Scott

lonepalm

Hi Scott,
I noticed that you had some advice about a schefflera tree. I have one I got for a gift this past Christmas. I would love to look at photos and suggestions. I think that I saw that you have a website where you have posted shapes for this tree. I'm really new to bonsai gardening, and I'm a little afraid to start pinching off shoots....but I would like to know how. I know that I need to do this soon as to maintain a type of miniature tree look for my Scheff....so could you help me? I did post a photo of it when I first got it on this forum....I'll see if I can recall it or post a new one.
Thanks for any help you can give me....I NEED IT!! Also needed is help on fertilizing....like when is a good time to do it? Thanks so much Scott.
Liz :?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Liz,

Check out my remarks about fertilization here. [url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3986[/url]

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”