Olgak
Newly Registered

In trouble with my new tree

Hi Guys,

My parents bought me my first bonsai tree and I hope you may be able to help me with a few questions.

First I don't know what type it is. I suspect that it is a Chinese elm because the bark is gray and almost smooth and the tree trunk itself is quite wide with many separated parts of the root. However the leaves are smooth, waxy and shiny and do not have the wavy edges like most Chinese elms I've seen on photographs. Could you guys help me out?

Also, I live in Portugal. Here the climate in the summer is dry and can get quite hot (upper 80F) and in the winter its humid and cool (60F). We had the tree indoors (where its quite a lot cooler especially at night) for all spring and summer and it was fine. We watered it whenever the soil felt dry checking regularly. Also we used a liquid fertilizer around twice a month.

Now its winter we still have it indoors, but now we switch on the heat during the evening only (making it about 70F). Since mid November the tree has had some of its old leaves turn brown, and the new leaves that grow get bumps and curl up (but don't dry) or become yellow and fall off. We keep checking the soil but it seems moist enough that we haven't felt the need to water it in almost 2 weeks!

My question is, is it due to the season that the leaves are falling or is it something else? It really does not seem to me like enough leaves are falling for it to be a seasonal issue, its only the new leaves. Also should I still water it if the soil is moist and should we keep having the tree indoors all through the year?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

best wishes, Olga

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Olga,

We really need an I.D. to make a good call on this; CHinese elm would be a whole different response than if it were a ficus, a possibility your description does not rule out. Can you post us an image?

Scott

Olgak
Newly Registered

Hi Scott,

Certainly, here are a couple of pics, also in the summer the tree had small almost star like white flowers.
Actually in the first picture you can see where one leaf has turned brown at the tip.

[img]https://img289.imageshack.us/img289/4507/pict00085wl.jpg[/img]
[img]https://img479.imageshack.us/img479/2937/pict00115lz.jpg[/img]

best, Olga

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Well, the star-like flowers are throwing me a little (mine never does, but I suspect that is a climate thing) but everything else says Ficus retusus. This is a very photo sensitive plant that almost always drops leaves as the light changes to winter conditions; not to worry. Those are images of a healthy plant...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”