golli
Newly Registered

Gardenia bonsai

I received a gardenia bonsai as a present a week ago and today I noticed that some of the leaves are brown around the edges. I have tried to be careful about overwatering and use a mister every day as well as humidifier. Is it possible the brown is just adjustment to the new location and the fact that it was delivered in cold weather?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Could be cold weather exposure just between a car and the house; this one is touchy like that. Again evenly moist to surface dry, and the humidifier and mister are great adjuncts to the watering schedule much better than overwatering). If it's still very young (sounds like it probably is) I'd take the flowers off of it until you get it through the winter; flowering is stressful and it doesn't need any extra stress going through an inhouse, heated winter. A cooler room with good indirect light is best...

Happy holidays

Scott

golli
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice. It is 3 years old and doesn't have any blooms right now. Actually, it was out longer than just from car to inside so that may be it. Do I just leave the brown-edged leaves alone?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You could try trimming them off, but I suspect you would just get a new edge that browned. Watch them; if they get brown and dry you can crinkle them off by hand, but if they start to get black and mushy, cut, and then spray with neem oil...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”