Gustaf the Great
Newly Registered

Planting Apple Seed, can I produce Bonsai?

Well, I recently encountered some horticulture students at my school, and they were carrying around bonsai that they had grown and cared for. That got me too thinking, "Hey, why not?" Now I face a problem. I would like to grow my bonsai indoors, so I was trying to find a nice looking tropical-ish plant. I found some nice ones, but they were all from South Africa and looked VERY expensive. Now here is my question. I have a few apple seeds, from apples purchesed at the supermarket. Are these seeds fertile? Can I grow them into Bonsai? Will they bear fruit? How should I go about planting it and whatnot? Can I grow it indoors? These are questions I would appricate an answer too. Thanks much.

Gustaf the Great
Newly Registered

Also, what are these 'zones' I've been hearing about? Ex. Hardy to Zone 2, Zone 5-7.

Gustaf the Great
Newly Registered

Still, I can not find the edit button. I live in Washington State, so It's 20 degrees F in the winter, and 80 degrees F in the summer.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Apples are very hard to propagate from seed, but it is possible (scarify the seed). Then grow and clip, maybe a little wire and in seven years, maybe ten, you'll have a good bonsai...

Is store bought a little expensive, compared to do-it-yourself? You betcha. Time is literally money with plants, and especially bonsai...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

The apple seeds should be fertile. What type of apples did they come from. There is only one real way to find out if they are fertile and that is to plant them in a pot and water them.

Yes, you can make bonsai from apple trees. If it should bare fruit, usually one one fruit will do and the fruit would be used purely for aesthetics.

The trees should be grown outside as much as possible. If grown inside they will not be very healthy.

Tropical trees are best grown in the tropics. If you live in Washington state it will be a heck of a lot easier to grow a tree that is native to your region as the trees are best grown outside.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”