christinavalenti
Newly Registered

Hi, Need help with my Juniper....

As I posted once the other day, I'm *sitting* for my dad's juniper bonsai. it's a christmas gift. so I've got 2 weeks (one down, one to go) to care for the tree. so far so good, I've been keeping it by the window where it gets good sun during the day and at night I move it the basement where it's cooler so it can be more dormant. what I've noticed is, the soil tends to dry out alot each day. I know I'm not supposed to water it more than once a week, unless needed, but that it shouldn't really need it unless it's outdoors in direct sunlight. Am I doing something wrong? I know I'm not supposed to over water it, but I can't understand why it seems to need it.... thanks in advance for any answers
Christina

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Christina,

First of all, windows are really bad places for bonsai trees. Move your tree outside. It needs to have it's dormant season. Actually, given that your tree has been inside until now, I would move it into the garage or some other somewhat protected structure so as not to stress your tree to much.

First give the tree a good watering by immersing the pot in water for about half an hour to an hour.

With regard to watering your tree; there is no set schedule for watering. If you tree needs watering three times a week then so be it. Just test the soil to see if it is damp or not. Also, in winter the tree should need less water but, given that your tree is most likely not yet dormant, it is going to need more water.

Yes, what you are doing wrong is: leaving the tree indoors. Juniper are a conifer and made for dry, cool climates. The tree will not be healthy unless it has it's dormant period.

Good luck and I hope your dad likes his tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”