Bonsai Guy

turning 5 japanese maples into 1 split trunk.

Hey guys I have a project that I thought would be fun to do and I was wondering if anybody would like to help me do it correctly. I have 5 japanese maple seedlings ranging from 4 to 9 inches tall. I planted them in a pot so the trunks all come out of the same spot. And loosely taped the trunks together.My plan is to graft all 5 trees at the base of the trunk to turn it into one big split trunk. I have a few books that explain some techniques in which to acomplish this, but much is left out. For instance, when should I start the grafting process? Are my trees still too young to start grafting yet, or is it the younger the better? How does one recognise the cambium with such a young tree. Are there any products that u recomend I use. If anybody has experience with this sort of thing and is willing to share sone words of advice it would be greatly appreciated. I hope all are well.

IndorBonsai

This is a cool Idea. I have never tried anything like this before so I wont be much help.

If you can post some pictures (Before and after and progress along the way). I am very interested in how this might work out.

I am sure someone on this forum will be able to help you out :)
And if not it will be a learning experience we all can enjoy.

Bonsai Guy

Yeah I'm really excited about it. I think that it will give many advantages not only to the look of the tree but also the shared root system. I will take some pictures when I get home. So you can see where I'm @ now, and I will keep you guys updated as I start to make some progress.

Big Vine

I'll be curious to see this as well...good luck!
BV

moulman
Cool Member

This is interesting, but not a new technique. Maples will approach graft readily.
Check this out....

https://www.dugzbonsai.com/tridenttour1a.htm

IndorBonsai

I like that :) I might have to try it, a smaller version would work nicely out by my fish pond.

sean117Ply
Cool Member

I haven't grafted but I have somewhat braided two Japanese maple as an experiment and I'm really pleased with how its growing. The trunks have started fusing and it's making a very interesting trunk. I will have to post a picture (when I have the time to take one) They have gone into fall colour so I will wait until leaf drop so I can get a better picture of the trunk.

-Sean :wink:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”