donnalittle08
Newly Registered

Identification and Help!!! (Possible Azalea)

I too recenlty obtained a Bonsai tree. I have had it now since Valentines. When I received it, it was lush and green and gorgeous. It began developing new growth and after that the old began to dry out and fall off. The new growth is hanging in there by a thread. Some has dried up. Ihave not pruned it or anything as I am unsure of what to do. I need to identify it first so I know which type of care and pruning it needs. Then I need advise on what to do...PLEASE HELP!!

Donna

[url]https://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/donnalittle06/BonsaiTree2-14-9.jpg[/url]

Moderators Edit: [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70167#70167]Link to the other thread.[/url]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Donna,

Hello and welcome. If this is the same tree you posted about earlier I am fairly certain it is not an umbrella tree, or Schefflera. Unfortunately I am unable to identify it from the picture you provided. Can you possibly post a clearer shot? Perhaps several with at least one closeup of the foliage. I have a feeling that it may be an Azalea but that is only the vaguest of impressions at this point.

Most growers do not use the immersion technique on a regular basis, certainly not everyday. Get a thin wooden skewer or chopstick and place it in the soil to the bottom of the pot. Every day remove the skewer and check it for moisture, if it is still wet do not water. water only as the soil soil approaches dryness. Don't let it go completely dry but don't keep it constantly wet either.

If you are keeping it in the location you pictured that may be part of the problem as well. Unless you have a bright window or employ supplemental lighting, the lighting inside your home is too dim for most plants to do well.

I keep everything, even tropicals, outside when the weather is warm enough. I have just moved my things out the other day so I assume the weather is settled in your location. If possible, consider moving it outside to a location that gets some sun in the morning and some shade in the afternoon. After you ID it and if it recovers you can look for a more suitable location.

Norm
Last edited by Gnome on Thu May 07, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnalittle08
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:Donna,

Hello and welcome. If this is the same tree you posted about earlier I am fairly certain it is not an umbrella tree, or Schefflera. Unfortunately I am unable to identify it from the picture you provided. Can you possibly post a clearer shot? Perhaps several with at least one closeup of the foliage. I have a feeling that it may be an Azalea but that is only the vaguest of impressions at this point.

Most growers do not use the immersion technique on a regular basis, certainly not everyday. Get a thin wooden skewer or chopstick and place it in the soil to the bottom of the pot. Every day remove the skewer and check it for moisture, if it is still wet do not water. water only as the soil soil approaches dryness. Don't let it go completely dry but don't keep it constantly wet either.

If you are keeping it in the location you pictured that may be part of the problem as well. Unless you have a bright window or employ supplemental lighting lighting inside your home is too dim for most plants to do well.

I keep everything, even tropicals, outside when the weather is warm enough. I have just moved my things out the other day so I assume the weather is settled in your location. If possible, consider moving it outside to a location that gets some sun in the morning and some shade int eh afternoon. After you ID it and if it recovers you can look for a more suitable location.

Norm
Thank you sooo much. I have posted new photos on the other link where.

monkeypuzzle
Newly Registered

Hi Donna,

From your photo it looks like your plant is an Azalea and the symptoms you describe are typical of an outdoor plant being kept indoors for too long with the wrong care.

The humidity indoors, especially during the colder months, can drop drastically, what is warm and toast for us can be Hell for a plant. Radiators and fires will dry the air and the plant will lose a large amount of moisture on a free-fall scale.

If you do keep outdoor plants indoors keep the humidity around them high... sit them away from radiators, fires and heaters and sit them on a tray of small pebbles which should always have a small amount of water in to moisten the air as it evaporates, also mist the leaves daily.

It could be quite possible that things are too far gone for this particular plant but never say never....place it outside in a semi-shaded spot away from strong winds and water it regularly (when the soil starts to move away from the inside of the pot is a good indicator). Do NOT apply fertiliser or immerse the plant in water...there is a chance that the remaining leaf plant cells will plasmolyse (absorb too much water and rupture).

The time of year is close that the plants will throw out their second growth so there is a good chance that although you have lost a lot of foliage the plant will produce more soon.

Hope this helps,

Monkeypuzzle

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”