colekamen
Newly Registered

Jade bonsai in need of help!!

Hello,
I recently (about 2 weeks ago) aquired a jade bonsai. At the time I got it the leaves and branches were healthy and green. 2 weeks later the majority of the leaves have fallen off and the top 1/2 inches o some of the branches are looking dried and shriveled. I have water it twice since I got it. I have looked for insects and have not found any on the tree, but found one very small one on the top soil. I really care about his plant and don't want to se it pass. Please help
Thank you
Cole

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

COle, overwatering is the bane of this plant and even once a week can be too much. Check the soil and if it's not bone dry a knuckle and a half down, not yet.

Light requirements are high as well; if it's not getting enough light that might be it as well. BRIGHT light...

HG

colekamen
Newly Registered

Thanks you fo the reply. It certainly gets enough direct sunlight. the first time I watered it was when the soil was pretty much bone dry more that a knuckle down. Following the watering it continued to loose leaves. The second time I watered it it was not as dry, but at least the top 1/2 inch of soil was dry. Can the plant be salvaged. What worries me the most is that the top of some of the branches are shriveled. Also some of the new buds are turning brown,even after they have shed that outer layer layer. Let me know what the best thing to do in order to resusitate (sp?) the plant.
thank you for your time,
cole

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sonds like there may be fungal issues here too; try a spritz of neem oil or even baking soda (TBLSP to a gallon) to try and counter that possibility. Look for white fuzzies on the branch nodes; mealy bugs love this plant...

LOTS of sun in the meantime, and see if the watering pentrated to the bottom of the pot. If you don't water until you get run-through, you ain't watering...

HG

colekamen
Newly Registered

Where should I spritz the baking soda? On the actual plant or in the soil? I did get a run through and it is getting plent of sunlight. You think it will be okay?
thanks,
cole

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Try it on the foliage and branches; it's effective against milder forms of fungii like powdery mildew and hopefully that's all it is...

Scott

colekamen
Newly Registered

Thanks again forall your help, I hope I am not taking up to much of your time. I believe I have found out what the problem was. I believe that the plant was to cose to my heater. I removed it from that spot the moment I first saw it having a bad effect on the plant. What should I do to bring it back to life or is it futile? Right now it is watered and has plenty of sunlight. Should I clip the tops of the branches that are somewhat shrivled or will it heal itself?
thanks a lot,
cole

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Removing those branches should stop the plant from trying to keep them hydrated and help with a return of foliage; these are tough plants used to the South African desert and they'll bounce back...

Just another too often seen example of the dangers of bottom heating plants; near heaters, on top of tv's directly in windows, all these things will dry the rootball and NOTHING will kill a plant faster. Sorry I didn't catch it earlier but when we discussed watering you seemed to be keeping it well watered and I am always gunshy about prescribing more water for this plant (for the stated reasons).

Glad you caught it in time and I think you'll be fine now...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”