uzeyr

japanese black pine in the rain :(

hi
I have been reading that the jbp should be kept drylike it doesnt like wet roots but the thing is there is always rain here and the pine tends to get wet could this be a serious problem

for all the people who keep outdoor trees what do u guys do when it rains ???
I need help on the pine as I really don't want to kill it any one who has a JBP pleasei would appreciate any advice

majed

I have green shades to protect the plants from high sunlight and heavy rains(though it works poor on rains).As in Pakistan monsoon rains very vigorously.I think place your plant in shades is best way or tilt a little your pot to drain water speedily. 8)

uzeyr

yeah I had that when I wasin kenya but the thing is I'm in uk now and the back yard doent have much place also most importantly I need to keep the black pine in the sun its needs full sun espscially in england

IndorBonsai

I don't think the rain will hurt the tree since this is normal spring time weather. As we get closer to summer there will be less and less rain and more sunny and hot days.( at least in Seattle WA area ) Just about every tree I have done research on ( about their natural habitat ) seems to go through a rainy season, and usally that is when the tree is at its peek for new growth. Then the new growth seems to slow as the weather gets hotter. (At least it does on my eastern washington pines). Not sure the species true name but I do know where I dug them them up at and the environment they were living in.

If the Japanese Black Pine is anything like our eastern washington pines ( Eastern Washington is basicly a desert in the summer time, and just over the mountain pass about 2 hours drive from me) Anyways the eastern washington pines grow just fine in my yard where I get probably 4 or more times the rain the trees were used to in their natural habitat.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Tilt your pot. A brick under one end will assure you do not sit wet in the roots for too long...a trick I learned from Dr. Amy Liang's The Living Art of Bonsai; I consider her to be one of the world's leading practioners. Every American bonsai gardener should visit the National collection and see John Naka's work there; undoubtedly the American master...

HG

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Where is the national collection?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

At the National Arboretum...

[url]https://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/collections/bonsai.html[/url]

I've been like four or five times and the only time I didn't spend most of my time in the bonsai and penjing is when I was on a bus tour with the Perennial Plant Association and couldn't (but the Asian Plant collection was great that time). The whole place is a treausure, but the neighborhood is a touch sketchy...

Wow, Harry Hirao just did a free lecture there Saturday; nice...

[url]https://www.geocities.com/harryhirao/BiographyPage.htm[/url]

HG

uzeyr

ok will do that what I ahev done is cover the top of teh pot with freeze wrap bag ( I remove it once its stopped raining ) I guess that keep it relativley dry
will try the pot and the brick thanx

btw do u ahev a black pine I'm new to keeping them and would really appreciate any advice

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No, my sole pine is a white pine...

Think candle pinching versus pruning...

HG

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:At the National Arboretum...

[url]https://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/collections/bonsai.html[/url]

HG
Ah shoot, we were just down there taking a visiting business acquaintance from Germany to see DC. I knew about the collection and figured it would be part of the botanical garden. We didn't have a whole lot of time and popped in on the garden on a whim walking back to the Washington Monument from the Capitol. I just figured the exhibit was closed. Well, there's always next time.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Actually the Arboretum is out east in D.C., (on the eastern tip of the diamond shape) on the Anacostia River...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”