jrs2086
Newly Registered

Juniper bonsai - help! I think its slowly dying

Starting a few weeks ago, my juniper bonsai started developing a lot of yellowish tips to the foliage at the end of each branch. Then, over a week or two, the yellowish spread downward on some of the branches, until now there are two spots where an entire clump of foliage is yellowing. I searched around on some forums, and read that this might be due to poor drainage in the soil, and that maybe the roots were sitting in water too long and beginning to rot. The soil was pretty slow to drain, so I replaced it with another soil mix that drains much faster.

I figured that the tree would need a week or two to recover from this, but its been two weeks are there is still no improvement. The yellowing is still starting to creep down. Does anybody have any suggestions? - I really don't want to lose this tree. Thanks a lot!

I've posted two pictures of the tree here. The off-green in the picture is actually yellow in real life: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=jamesrsherman&target=ALBUM&id=5330256932959938529&authkey=Gv1sRgCMrC-vWsj9iRMg&feat=email

zewald

Hey jrs,

having a juniper myself (which actually doesn't look as full or good as urs does :wink: ) I think I may be able to help. the first thing I would say is to check ur watering regimen. How often do you water it? you should wait until the soil is dry to about an inch or so down before you rewater. Don't worry about a schedule. and for junipers, err on the side of dryness rather than wetness. also, do u keep it indoors? thats a no no. junipers VERY RARELY survive inside. (I learned this the hard way after killing two)

other than that, wait it out and see whether the yellow needles keep progressing. If they do, u may need help from some other more experienced members, but if it starts looking better, you should be ok.

Hope everything goes well

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

jrs2086,

First don't expect the damaged foliage to make a miraculous recovery, it is unlikely. Secondly realize that a tree is slow to respond to changes, it may take a while before you are able to tell if you have turned the corner or are on the long slide downhill, be patient. You can try misting it when you have the opportunity, Junipers derive much of their moisture through their needles.

I don't believe you have mentioned whether or not you have been keeping it inside.

Norm

jrs2086
Newly Registered

I got the tree in the middle of this past winter, and decided I wanted to keep it inside instead of putting it outside immediately in the cold. I wasn't sure if the bonsai nursery was keeping it inside or outside. Right now, I keep it right next to an open window, and I am planning to move down south in two months. Once I move, it will be outside 24/7.

I'm hoping that this yellowing is not due to the fact that its inside, and if it is, I hope it survives two more months!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The growth looks very congested to me, and that can be detrimental in many ways. Perhaps removing some growth would help cut down transpiration (thus reducing water use), allow air flow (thus cutting down the possibility of fungal disease) and increase the aesthetic values of your tree. I would prune out the yellow and decrease the mass of foliage into something more approximating branches on a tree. My teacher always used the phrase "so a bird may fly through it"...

HG

IndorBonsai

Also have you done any trimming with scissors, I have found that junipers prefer pinching instead of cutting on unwanted foliage. Cutting will cause more browning and die back than pinching does.

Use cutting for removing a branch back to the trunk, and pinching to keep the shape of the tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”