Delasyd
Newly Registered

My Bonsai doesn't have any leaves anymore

I received a bonsai tree from my friend last Christmas from Swiss Colony. The instructions said that it was an outdoor bonsai and needed to experience all the seasons in order to thrive. I set it on my back deck in the pot it came in and followed the instructions for care. At the time there were less than 10 leaves on it (they are oval in shape and were brown) but the instructions said that was to be expected since it would be in it's winter dormancy period. The instructions said that this tree didn't need too much water since it would grow similar to a tree that was planted in the ground and that I should only water it in the summer when the weather was hot and dry.

It's been a year and my tree has not grown at all. It has never grown any leaves or buds . . . in short NOTHING has changed on it in 12 months. It still appears to be alive. The branches bend as if they were still moist inside instead of breaking which would happen if they were dry or rotted. I just don't know what to do for it and there isn't any place around here that I can take it to ask for help.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be appreciated. :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I am sorry to say that you are probably a year late to call us on this one. Not knowing what variety of plant you have is not going to let me know where things went wrong, but as with all living things, no change at all in a year is a pretty sure sign that the spirit has left your little tree...

At the risk of being repetitive, garden centers are your best source for plant material. There are reasons these other guys are so much cheaper; lower quality, lack of knowledge and poor handling are all cost cutting measures...

tiger1971
Newly Registered

Help, please could you give my wife some advice about a bonsai tree I bought her at xmas. The tree is a Zelkova one and I wrapped it up for her ( I now know this wasn t a good idea!) , it was wrapped up for about 4 days. It looked ok when she opened it and after telling me off we put it on the kitchen window sill inside and we water it and mist it everyday with tap water. We have now noticed that all the leaves are falling off every time she mists it. Our kitchen is allways about 60 F. Please if any one could help her that would be great!. She absolutly loves the tree but she s worried its gonna die!
Many thanks Gareth.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Gareth, are you all on city water? Chlorine is hell on trees...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”