emmckay
Newly Registered

Root problem with Juniper Bonsai

A little background, I live in Southern California and my bonsai is a juniper, 18-years old, and is located underneath an awning where there's good air circulation and full morning sun until noon-ish.

I am getting concerned about the root ball region of my 18-year old juniper - it was a gift and I've had it for about 6 months now. For the past few months the roots felt soft to the touch, there was a give if I would gently press on the roots. Now however on one side the roots are really hard - I admit that this is the side that was in the shade for about two weeks (I usually rotate my tree so it gets equal sun exposure). This problem side has now been rotated back into the sun and in addition to being hard, it looks like there are these, for lack of a better term, green specks that are located throughout the exposed roots. Each one is the size of a grain of sand. I'm concerned that this could become a serious problem if I don't take care of it soon. What do you think this is?

Otherwise the tree looks healthy.

Any recommendations on how to mitigate this problem? I've heard about neem oil, ortho orthenex spray, ... What would you recommend?

One final question - I water my bonsai from a watering can - but I fill it with tap water. Is this what I should be doing or is there something that I should add to the water to help neutralize the chlorine, calcium, etc.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

emmckay,

Hello and welcome.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what might, or might not, be going on with the roots. Can you describe the soil please? Is it dense and peaty or loose and gritty? A soil that retains a lot of moisture is not appropriate for a Juniper.
it looks like there are these, for lack of a better term, green specks that are located throughout the exposed roots. Each one is the size of a grain of sand. I'm concerned that this could become a serious problem if I don't take care of it soon. What do you think this is?
Again, not sure, but if you look closely, perhaps with a hand lens, you should be able to ascertain if they are organic, meaning insects, or perhaps a form of slow release fertilizer which is not uncommon.
Any recommendations on how to mitigate this problem? I've heard about neem oil, ortho orthenex spray, ... What would you recommend?
Until you determine if you even have a problem any course of action now would be premature.
One final question - I water my bonsai from a watering can - but I fill it with tap water. Is this what I should be doing or is there something that I should add to the water to help neutralize the chlorine, calcium, etc.
I have well water that is quite high in Calcium and My Juniper seems fine. I obviously do not have the concerns about Chlorine but many recommend allowing your water to stand in the can overnight in order to allow the Chlorine to dissipate. Every day, after you water, draw enough for the next day.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.
You're welcome and please post pictures if you are able, they may help with your questions.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Norm

emmckay
Newly Registered

Thank you Norm for your help! Let me reply to some of your questions.

-The soil is pretty loose and gritty, a few seconds after I start watering the tree, water begins to drain out of its base.
-The green was not there originally so I'm imagining its not a slow release fertilizer. There aren't insects present. Some of the tiny stones near the roots have the green color on them which makes me think that it's some sort of fungus... though I'm not sure why it's appearing only in certain areas.

As a preventative measure would you recommend applying a neem oil fungicide, or something similar that would not damage the trunk or roots?

Again thank you very much for your help!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

emmckay,
The soil is pretty loose and gritty, a few seconds after I start watering the tree, water begins to drain out of its base.
OK, that's good. You are better off than some other Junipers we have seen. And although I did not mention it before I'm glad to read that you are keeping it outside. These two factors are vital to Junipers.
The green was not there originally so I'm imagining its not a slow release fertilizer. There aren't insects present. Some of the tiny stones near the roots have the green color on them which makes me think that it's some sort of fungus... though I'm not sure why it's appearing only in certain areas.
Sometimes Perlite, if present, can acquire a green tinge to it, I have never found this especially troublesome.

It is possible that you are watering too frequently but considering your climate and the fact that your soil is free draining that may not be the case. Do you allow the surface of the soil to dry before the next watering? That should help to eliminate to fungi/algae.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”