Sharp

New to ficus

I have had a small ficus tree for a few months. Was told that indirect sunlight was best for it. I got the tree from a bonsai dealer. Not some mall. But it has a few turning leaves. Is it the sunlight? Or am I not watering it enough. Its in a small container, and perhaps thats drying up too fast. Any suggestions?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Easy...easy...deep breaths...

Ficus always respond to photoperiodic changes. Now in English...

Ficuses (Ficii? :? ) hate when you change the amount of light they have been getting. Days are getting shorter, photoperiod changes and voila! You get yellowing leaves dropping...moving the plant to a new light condition (more or less light) will trigger that same response.

SOME leaves, that is. IF it's all going yellow, then we need to look at other causes, but being as it's that time of year, and you said it's a few turning leaves, I'm not panicking, and neither should you :D

HG

Sharp

:P

Hehe, yea looking at it its just afew leaves turning. I just reaaaaaly like this tree. Already has these wonderful exposed roots (not sure the name of that).

:wink:

Thanks HG

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Exposed roots are nebari style... 8)

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Ficus are lovely little trees. (or they can be larger as well) My friend recieved one for his birthday several years ago.

I would recommend going to the local library/bookstores and find a good bonsai book that gives instructions on how to grow ficus in your climate. Scott's advice is sound but, it's good to get as much information on a plant as you can.
I think that "The Bonsai Survival Manual" has listings of different plants and how to grow them. Check it and some other books out.

I don't know about you but, when I started out with bonsai, the internet information was good but once I read a half a dozen books and bought 2 of them, my success just shot through the roof.

Sharp

Thanks Opa.

I do have that book and a few others.

I think whats nice about this place though is a human factor. A "omg I might have killed my tree I need advice" factor that a book doesnt always offer. :P

So I really love this site and frequent it often, even when I don't have questions.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it's a great site. That's how I became a moderator. Just ended up spending most of my time hear and posting any relevant information that I found when researching gardening.

There is a lot of great information on the site in the forums and within the actual site as well. Scott is VERY knowledgeable as are Grey, Newt and Val (the other moderators).

Post a question or comment anytime.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's why we're here... :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”