Bonsai Guy

Bonsai seems loose in soil.

The wind could blow it out of the pot, but It's an indoor tree so it wont be blown away, but it wiggles in its pot when I move it and the soil lifts up just above the roots. If anybody has any suggestions on how I can make the tree more stable in its pot, it'd be very helpful. Thanks guys, I hope your all well.
Sincerely,

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Sounds like soemthing going on with the root system. Was this tree just acquired? If so, it's pretty routine for mass produced trees to be "overpotted" and done so in an industrial fashion, not allowing individual trees to be "filled in" with no spreading common to the training of nebari, that kind of thing. Also, most better bonsai growers will secure their trees to the pots when required.

Bonsai Guy

I'm not sure if the tree was mass produced, all I know is that it came from china so its very possible that it was. You said that good bonsai people secure the tree to the pot. How do I go about doing that. Should I just wrap something around a root or 2 so it doesn't get damaged and then wire it through the holes on the bottom of the pot?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bonsai Guy,

Is this the Elm you just re-potted? If so then there is nothing unusual about the tree being a little loose st first.
How do I go about doing that. Should I just wrap something around a root or 2 so it doesn't get damaged and then wire it through the holes on the bottom of the pot?
That's pretty much about it but it is done during re-potting.

Here is a tree that I was having trouble with being loose and an alternate method of securing it.
[url=https://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=twinexz2.jpg][img]https://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8116/twinexz2.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Not very elegant but it was just in a plastic nursery pot and it was only temporary.

Since this tree is kept inside if you are careful it really should not be an issue.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

This is what the "extra" smaller holes are for in better bonsai pots, securing the tree, via its root system, to the pot using wire. Norm's method would work too, and would be an excellent solution to a temporary situation. If the tree was already just repotted, I don't think I'd mess with it. You can, though, try needling a wire through the drainage hole (starting from the bottom will be easier than from the top) and wrapping the trunk if Norm's method doesn't suit you.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”