Bonsai Guy

My Chinese Elm tree is turning mostly yellow

Hi People. I need some help with my Chinese Elm tree that I recently transplanted into a new pot. I changed the soil to the Joe Bonsai brand with Akadama in it. I did some root trimming in order to stimulate more feeder roots and I did quite a bit of trimming to the foliage to compensate for the roots I cut back, I soaked the soil after transplanting and I also applied some Bonsai pro to promote growth, but now (3 days later) all the leaves are beginning to turn yellow. I have the tree by a window where it gets ample sunlight and some shade. Is my elm going to be OK? Is it just in Shock from being re potted, and if so how do I help the little bugger out? It's a beautiful tree and I'd love to have her in better health.
Any comments and advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Bonsai Guy

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/The_Bonsai_Guy/yellowleaves.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/The_Bonsai_Guy/yellowleaves2.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bonsai Guy,

Hello and welcome.
Is it just in Shock from being re potted,
Since all was well prior to the re-potting my guess would be that it is indeed a reaction to being re-potted. Since your tree has not had a dormancy it is probably simply shedding some of the older leaves. Don't panic and do anything drastic, just maintain it the way you did before. The watering pattern might change due to the re-potting and root pruning so make sure to keep a close eye on things.

Norm

Bonsai Guy

Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for putting my mind at ease. :D

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Just a note, if pot bound, a good repotting/pruning can induce increased growth, as new growth appears, the leaves at the axils where new growth has formed will yellow, crisp, fall off, like autumn leaves.

Bonsai Guy

Cool, I can deal with new growth. I was just afraid I murdered my tree with my stubby fingers.

Also when I was combing out the roots, I noticed one that was running back into the trunk, almost as if the root were running parallel with the trunk but inside it. I pulled it out naturally. but as I pulled It just kept coming out. The root had to be about 18 inches long. it must have been hiding in the apex.
That cant be common can it?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

No, can't say I've ever seen a tree's root grow back into itself and still be easily removable.

uzeyr

nice tree
mine was repotted and for three weeks the leaves kept falling and yellowing and becoming crisp brown , but now the tree is fine and blooming again so I guess u just wait and find out don't over water :D

killyspike

I agree with all, a natural reaction to the re-pot. Dunno what bonsai pro is, some sort of fertiliser? If it is then it was best not to use it for about a month as I believe if my studies are accurate it can burn the roots certainly on a freshly repotted tree. With mine it just simply stopped doing anything new for about 2 weeks then it started to come alive again. Was absolutely fine without fertiliser. Best to not over react and continue the normal bonsai way of watering.

Bonsai Guy

Thanks for the comments I probably am just over reacting a little bit. I'm still a newbie at this bonsai stuff. And this is my first Bonsai tree that is recognizably a bonsai, so maybe I'm just being an over protective father. and yet somehow killing my tree with love at the same time. I've read a bunch of books on bonsai but I guess the best way to learn is personal experience. I made another post about the progress of my tree here https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13423. and I'm not too great with the HTML stuff either so please bare with me. Thanks again you have all been so helpful.
Sincerely,

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”