wordswork
Newly Registered

Hawaiian Umbrella tree

Hello.

I'm hoping someone can help. My Schefflera is 20 years old and healthy, lives indoors year round, doesn't get too much water and - during (Canadian) winter months - sits under grow lights 10 hours/day.

It's approximately 4 & 1/2 feet tall (not exactly 'Bonsai').

I have recently seen quite tall (8 - 10 foot) versions of this same plant (in shopping malls) with the roots wrapped around the trunk; almost, but not quite, Banyan style. I like the appearance of these, particularly as the roots seem to support the trunk (which is by no means sturdy, otherwise).

I have repotted my own tree several times and noted the roots as quite long with a tendency to grow in a circular direction along the perimeter of the pot (below the soil).

Can anyone tell me please how I might train the roots upward, out of the earth? Without killing my tree?

Thanks and regards,
Rose Anne

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nope, Rose; wrong way! Train your soil down! :lol:

Really, just remove a inch (or 6) of soil and repot higher. Gradually
you can expose as much root as you like, and move into a shallower container at the same time if you'd like. Just that easy! :D

HG

wordswork
Newly Registered

Thanks, HG.

It sounds like a good plan, and I appreciate your advice.

As the root is increasingly bared, at what point can I safely manipulate it and twine it around the stalk of the plant?

Cheers,
Rose Anne

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hmmm...got to be careful there as plants can actually strangle themselves. FIcus will just drop new air roots to deal with that, but a schefflera willjust die...

I also started new air roots on my schefflera bonsai by scarring the bark where I wanted new roots and packing sphagnum up around those sections, so as I exposed areas I made sure that I got roots where I wanted them. The top is needing work but getting better, and the roots are great!

Scott

wordswork
Newly Registered

Spagnum? What is it? Some kind of moisture-retention medium?

And if you're ever in Calgary, Scott, I could (obviously) use some help.

Not wanting to lose this plant, I will - of course - be careful (and continue researching/looking for answers and guidance).

Thanks very much for your input.

Regards,
Rose Anne

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sphagnum is a type of moss. You will most likely find it in a local nursery. But, seeing that you live in Calgary; you might try looking around a local stand of trees (outside the city).

Good Luck!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Peat being such a big industry up there I'm suprised you hadn't heard of it, but it's the living phase of peat; a moss that in it's unmilled form makes a lovely rooting medium when kept damp...
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wordswork
Newly Registered

Which just shows how little I know about growing things.

Thanks VERY much for the information and pointers, Scott.

Cheers,
Rose Anne

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's why we're here; tell the friends and family...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”