yuenchiyu
Newly Registered

Bonsai collecting in the wild

Hi,
I understand collecting wild bonsai trees is unethical. I believe the same go with collecting seeds from the plants right?
Even though, we are only collecting the seeds, the plants still belong to someone. Permission before taking always appreciated I think.

Tak
:roll:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd agree with collecting plants right from the wild, Yuen, but seed collection is a symbiotic relation of man and plant; if the plant is not invasive (at least not as much as the man :wink: ), then it benefits the whole ecosystem. If personal posession enters into it then perhaps someone is owed recompense, but from the wild I think both sides gain in the collection of seed, done in a responsible manner (never more than ten percent of the available specific stock).

Using native plants from the wild offers habitat to native flora and fauna that they recognize and already use; In many of my gardens I am very selective about removing what Nature volunteers. Bringing Nature into your yard is also very Taoist...
Fulfill what you have recieved from Nature, without the idea of attainment; just be empty
Tao Te Ching

HG

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Have to agree, taking of seed should not be a problem as long as most seed is left. When we're talking about trees, though, a lot depends on where the seed it taken from. Is it a newly deforested site? Or is the growth thick and lush? Is it developed or undeveloped? That kind of thing. I can't see where any but the most ridiculous of people would object to your taking seed from plants on their property, but I CAN see where they might object to your being on their property in the first place. ;) I'm with HG on my "landscaping". Other than cleared patches, I leave it alone. Watching a deer give birth and seeing a fawn's first steps are more than worth the headaches from complaining neighbors about the "wild woods". Even in our cleared land, we pretty much leave it alone. Patches of wild raspberry and strawberry in the brush and lawns, that kind of thing.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Don't get me wrong guys; my front yard is a cottage garden and I'm pretty specific about what happens there. But the backyard is mostly me and Mother Nature gardening together, and she gets almost as much say as I do...the line is blurry at times to be honest...

"Once Chuang Chou dreamed he was a butterfly, enjoying himself and going where he wanted. He did not know he was Chou. Suddenly he awoke, whereupon he was startled to find he was Chou. He didn't know whether Chou had dreamed he was a butterfly, or if a butterfly was dreaming it was Chou. But as Chou and the butterfly, there must be a distinction. This is called the transformation of beings."

Tao Te Ching

Our gardening holds the potential for transformative moments, where the lines between garden and Nature get blurry (and the line between humans and Nature is thus blurred also). I think this idea is up and coming and more and more people get that this is where gardening should be headed. If we treat Nature with respect, forethought and a touch of reverence, we will always make good decisions, as at some level, we are all butterflies. But it is very good to ask the questions and have the discussions; thank you for your excellent question, Yuen Chi Yu...

HG

Matt_09

Personally I think that collecting plants from the 'wild' is great. Like TheHelpfulGardener said
Using native plants from the 'wild' offers habitat to native flora and fauna that they recognize and already use.
So it sort of helps the environment for many organisms.

Besides my future bonsai trees are all collected from the 'wild', I think that it is easier for me because they are somewhat accustomed to the weather and how it fluctuates, the exception is that they all came from my own property. But if all of your seeds and trees are collected from your propety then there shouldn't be a conflict. But I agree with taking seeds and trees from other peoples' land is in a way wrong, it also looks wierd digging up a tree or picking seeds from an already grown tree. 0_o

yuenchiyu
Newly Registered

Thanks guys,

Your opinions really open my mind up. I guess as long as we take a small amount from the nature, that shall not change the ecosystem at all.
But I still have problem if someone just barge in people's property and get what they think is free to take!
It happened to me before when I tried to ask the property owner for permission to collect some seeds of their plants. They commented I was the only one that ask before taking! They then told me about so many people just took them off the flowering beds. That got them so upset!
We can always share our love. No need to be selfish.
Thanks,

Tak

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There was a thread entitled "Ethical Collecting" which has now been made part of the Bonsai Library:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57167

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”