emerica
Newly Registered

Chinese elm's leaves are turning yellow with brown

I live in florida and I got this chinese elm in the summer, and it is now the fall. I have noticed that about a from a couple weeks after I purchased it to now that the leaves are turning yellow and brown, and some of the others brown around the edges. These leaves fall off. I am keeping it indoors next to a window, and I want to know what is going on? I am loosing lots of leaves on it everyday, and I do not want it to die. What is happening and wat should I do?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi E,

What watering regimen have you been keeping? IS this window a new move? Have you been keeping the tree outdoors? Misting? Check for insects or spotting on the leaves as well; could be disease related...

S

emerica
Newly Registered

I am watering it unfiltered water, and it has been near the window since I have got it

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Unfiltered city water? Chlorinated?

Yellowing leaves is actually known in the trade as chlorosis; guess why...

That could be your damage right there. I have recently moved into city water and the first thing I did was get a Britta filter; for me and my plants...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

So, does the Chlorine in the water directly react to degrade Chlorphyll or does it have some effect on Nitrogen in the plant?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I think that it directly locks up reception of nutrients in much the same way that metals do, but I'll check in with the good Dr. Kiyomoto tomorrow morn and get a more definitive answer...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”