Extreme
Newly Registered

Bonsai Beginner

Good morning all,

I am very new to this bonsai tree growing thing. I was given one as a gift recently, and if I am not mistaken, its call June snow, or snow June or something like that.
Well I have been looking after it as best as I can, and in the last week, it is like its on steroids, just shooting new leaves and stem things. Is this normal?? :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

June snow is usually the comman name for Serissa foetida, also known as Thousand Stars. The shooting condition is not a bad sign at all; means you are being dililgent with watering anyway. These are likely water shoots, sprouts caused by high moisture conditions and definitely par for the course with this plant. Think of it as a sign that you can cut back watering just a tad; not a lot mind you, this is a tropical and new growth is a constant on this plant. Cut back to fit your look you are going for and don't let the growth get too congested, but consider this a good sign you are on the right track...

Scott

Extreme
Newly Registered

ah thats great news, thanks. I was starting to get a little worried, as the tree is meant to stay small.........hahah I will slow down a little on the watre, its that it has been so hot here, that i was scared that something would happen to it.
What would you suggest about feeding the tree??

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Going into the winter you should back off the food and let it rest a little; even tropicals take a little break from growing. Start feeding again in spring; sounds like there is still plenty of soil fertility in that pot...

HG

Earlthepearl
Newly Registered

I have just recieved a Juiper Bonsai from someone. I live in Maine ...... It's gets rather cold here. I hear this is an outside Plant. This poor things gunna freeze solid if I leave it outside. Should I just put it out on nice days for the winter and bring it in during nights and bad weather? I woud think this would be a shock to the plant.
Anyone else living in the Northeast have this type plant and what do you do to keep it healthy and alive??

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A garage window, screen porch or unheated, but warmer than outside area will get this through the winter just fine. Water only occasionally (every few weeks) until thaw...

HG

darkdragonlord
Newly Registered

hiya i have recently been given a bonsai tree (serissa seroides) as a christmas present and i was wondering if someone could just answer a few questions and give me some tips.

1.is it ok to water my bonsai tree with cold water? (it's winter)
2.should the soil be kept moist? or should i give it a few days of dry soil?
3. any other tips you could give me would be much appreciated.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thousnad Stars are tropical, they don't like ANYTHING cold...

Let the soil dry between waterings, not totally, but not damp, dry...

Kind of swamped, so my best advice is look through the posts for Thousand Star serissa advice and come back for any other questions...Sorry bout that Dark Lord... :oops:

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”