djet13
Newly Registered

Are these Good Bonsai for Growing in Deep South U.S.?

Well after reading through a couple forum posts and realizing the scarcity of posts about the South United States I decided to simply ask:

I live in the Deep South in Birmingham Alabama, so freezing is not a threat at hardly anytime of the year (and if I've read correctly I can simply utilize sheltered areas like a garage for overnighters) but I realize that the tree types suitable for here might be different than the ones others are attempting to try. From my research I decided on either a Chinese Elm or a Cedar elm, however I'm open to other decisions as well. I'm probably going to do a long-term tree which I start from a sapling from a local nursery, and then an easier... "pre-made" tree which I can take care of and make modifications to. I'm curious to know, however, if there are trees which are more suitable for my area, such as an oak, or that would prove easier for a beginner.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

**Addition: Okay so after reading a whole lot more posts after this one and looking around I altered my decision a little bit. I think, if I do pursue the two-tree idea, I will go with a more traditional looking tree for my "easy" tree and then I'd love to do something local for my own "hard" tree. I've seen a few oaks around the web and, although it's not Alabama native by any stretch, a cherry would also be amazing. However, I realize that both of these would most likely be very long-in-the-making trees, with the cherry taking 12-15 years to bloom. So would anyone know of any southern trees which would be hardy enough for a beginner, but quick enough to provide some sort of satisfaction before the cow comes home?
Last edited by djet13 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

**Addition: Okay so after reading a whole lot more posts after this one and looking around I altered my decision a little bit. I think, if I do pursue the two-tree idea, I will go with a more traditional looking tree for my "easy" tree and then I'd love to do something local for my own "hard" tree. I've seen a few oaks around the web and, although it's not Alabama native by any stretch, a cherry would also be amazing. However, I realize that both of these would most likely be very long-in-the-making trees, with the cherry taking 12-15 years to bloom. So would anyone know of any southern trees which would be hardy enough for a beginner, but quick enough to provide some sort of satisfaction before the cow comes home?
This depends on what you mean by satisfaction. If you are simply concerned about the tree flowering, taking a cutting from an already flowering tree or trimming down an already flowering tree to bonsai it will allow the tree to produce flowers at an earlier time. Many nursuries also sell shrubs that have bloomed before, so by purchasing an older specimen to work with will allow it to flower sooner. An older specimen will also provide you with a thicker trunk to begin with, so it won't take as long to get big. Unfortunatly, however, there is no such thing as an instant bonsai, as any good bonsai will require years of work to produce anything truly good.

djet13
Newly Registered

Okay. Hmmm so saying I was going the long route, starting from either a sapling or fairly young cutting from the wild or a nursery, would you know of any species suitable for a beginner that would do well in the hot, humid south?

*Update: Well I stumbled upon gold in the vast world wide web:
https://www.southernbonsai.com/about/the-deep-south-bonsai-list/

A complete listing of trees suitable for the south!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”