LadyB225
Newly Registered

Juniper needles drying up on the inside

Hi there!

I'm new to bonsai's and have this lovely Rock Juniper (I think). It is at
least 18" tall and quite beautiful. The problem I am having is that although I submerge the pot once a week to water and spray the needles at least twice a week, the needles on the inside of the tree are drying out and some are turning brown. Is this an indication of lack of pruning? Humidity?

I keep the tree in my kitchen and have had it there since I bought it about two months ago. I'm located in New York and it's getting cold, so I don't want to put it outside, but can put it in another, cooler room if that would be best.

Would you be kind enough to offer suggestions?

Thank you,
LadyB

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The inside of the tree has become congested to the point that water, air and light aren't making it into the recesses of the tree, and they are passing on (not suprisingly).

Foliage should not be a huge blob with an inside and an outside, it should be pads of foliage, tight to the branch. The branches should be arranged so, as my old mentor Val used to say, "A bird can fly through them" (Imagine a miniature bird, flying through your miniature tree. Can he do it? If not, it's time to do some pad pruning).

This is not the best time of year for a hard pruning, but very dry spaces in the middle of the plant is a sure invitation for mites, so pick out as much dead stuff as you can, mist the inside well (mites hate moisture) and think about some foliage pruning (best done to junipers by finger pinching, just what it sounds like...)

HG

LadyB225
Newly Registered

Dear HG:

Thank you very much for the advice. Will do! and will let you know!

LadyB

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Most welcome, m'lady... :D

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”