Aneeka
Newly Registered

Newly purchased Chinese Elm - Leaves starting to yellow!!!

I purchased my first bonsai 4 days ago. I was given a sheet with regards to bonsai care, in which it said that one should submerge the container to the brim so as to ensure the correct moisture level is reached to start the bonsai watering habitat with.

I did this on friday. The sheet also said to water as was needed and allow it to be in sunlight until 11AM so that the bonsai is not exposed to harsh sunlight. I have been giving my bondai about a 1/4 cup of water and throwing away the water that was left in the drip tray. The humidity in the room in which I keep my bonsai has been steady at 55% for the last couple of days.

Could I be over watering? Please help!!! :cry:

kdodds
Greener Thumb

YES. In my estimation, even with pure Akadama, a very fast-drainng, and fast drying, soil, you would very likely be overwatering severely. What does the soil look like in the pot? Is it like potting soil? Or is it more like clay shards? Pumice? Lava? Are there any pebbles or other amendments on top of the soil? Are they glued in place?

I would remove any amendments, if there are any, first. Then, you want the top of the soil to appear dry or sort of dry. Test with a wooden toothpick to see if the inner soil is still moist. If it is still moist, you probably do not need to water yet. Some people just dip the toothpick in and withdraw and this can lead to a fals assumption that the soil is dry. So, just stick the toothpick in and leave it there for 15-30 minutes. If it comes out without moisture or moist soil, it's time to water again. In my home, humidity controlled to 30-45% in the winter (summer/spring always being higher) in Akadama, I only have to water my Elms twice per week, at the most. I use both soaking and watering from above, alternately.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”