weasel
Newly Registered

gardenia's yellowing leaves - help!!

Hi Everyone,
My gardenia bonsai is still getting yellow leaves (I wrote about this a few weeks ago). I think (but am not sure) that it needs more sun than I can give it in New Jersey at this time of year. When I'm home I actually move it at least three times a day, if I can, so it gets maximum sun. My question is doo I need a grow light and would that help keep the leaves green? Watering could also be the cause. I think it needs to dry out just a little before watering but maybe I am not giving it the right amount of water. It sits on a tray with pebbles which I keep wet (but do not let the water level reach the pot). Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!
Weasel

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

weasel,

If your lighting situation is that limited that you feel the need to move it around then some form of supplemental lighting certainly would not hurt. Don't use incandescent, fluorescents are better. I use 4FT shop lights but you probably don't need that much area. You can try one or more compact fluorescents if you can find an appropriate fixture. Keep the light fairly close in order to get the maximum benefit. As long as you don't overheat the plant, the closer the better.

I don't grow Gardenia so I will defer to the advice you received earlier WRT watering. I will say though that over watering is one of the most common problems with potted plants in general and if you suspect it needs to dry a little more you are probably right. Have you tried using the skewer method to monitor soil moisture?
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479

Norm

weasel
Newly Registered

Thanks for your help. I am thinking I need to use some fertilizer so am off to the garden center to buy some. That may be the missing link in caring for this plant. By the way, I have read (and personally experienced) that gardenias, bonsai or not, are one of the most challenging house plants to grow. So wish me luck!
Weasel

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”