GreenBrain

Question on grafting

My calamondin bonsai that recently lost all its foliage and branches is still holding onto some green life in its trunk but I have doubts that it will ever grow leaves again. Does anyone think it would be possible to graft some cuttings from a healthy calamondin plant onto the dying trunk given the current weakened state of the tree?

Also, what method would be best to ensure first-time success?

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/BreakfastLizard/CIMG0163.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Why graft branches from a healthy tree on to the trunk of a weak, and possibly dead or dying, one? Grafting should be done with healthy specimens only, to the best of my knowledge. I would try nursing this one back, or start with a new tree, either or, not both, at least not both together. ;)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

GreenBrain,
Why graft branches from a healthy tree on to the trunk of a weak, and possibly dead or dying, one? Grafting should be done with healthy specimens only, to the best of my knowledge.
I agree, there are also questions of timing and acquiring scion wood. I think more planning is in order if you wish to pursue grafting.

As for the tree you have now, if there is still green tissue it may still recover. I have very minimal experience with citrus, just a few one year old seedlings I planted on a whim so I can't say with any certainty that it will recover so just wait it out.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”