Chaod666
Newly Registered

Is it Normal for Grass to Grow Around my Bonsai?

There was a person from a local plant shop who came around to my store selling bonsai trees door to door (not sure of the reason, but he is reputable, I just cant remember for the life of me where his store is). I keep it in the store, but it has fresh air and sunlight (direct and otherwise) almost all the time.

The only thing I find weird is it looks like grass is growing from the soil as well, is that part of the tree? Or is it some kind of weed that I should be removing. If someone could tell me that would be great. I also have a pic of it here on the computer, so I could put it up.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chaod666,
I also have a pic of it here on the computer, so I could put it up.
Yes, please do.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

The greenery on the soil is probably moss of some sort. Sometimes it is actually growing but more usually, with this type of commercially prepared tree, it is likely just sort of stuck on. Either way it is not necessary and can be removed. Alternately, if it is actually growing you can leave some in scattered locations. This will allow you to better judge the moisture content ans to water more effectively when required. I feel it looks more natural like this anyway.

Norm

Chaod666
Newly Registered

The moss I know is just put on there, but the sprouts coming up concern me... to be honest I'm an idiot when it comes to plants, so forgive me if I need everything spelled out for me.
[img]https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Chaod666/lulz003.jpg[/img]

Kenshin14435

Those little "fiddle head" looking things in the back left of the pot look like moss to me. But I have no idea what that stuff is in the front of the pot. Kinda looks like grass, weeds, and bamboo shoved into one stalk.... 8) ..?
I wouldnt mind hearing an answer if anyone has one. This grass lookin' stuff has caught my attention. :wink:

Take Care

Kenshin14435

Sorry, I forgot to add that it looks to me as if your soil is holding alot of water. I can't really see any soil/mineral definition. Just looks like one blob of wet soil to me. But your tree looks healthy to me. Just might be something to look into later. :wink:

Take Care and Good Luck!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chaod666,

It's not uncommon for my trees to grow any number of stray weeds. I don't know for sure exactly what the plants in your pots are but it does not really matter. If it is not something I am deliberately cultivating I pull them out.

More worrisome, as Ken noted, is the texture of the soil. It does look rather dense and water retentive. From what I can see the tree looks like a Juniper and this type of soil, along with being kept inside, will cause problems.

You don't mention your location but I would strongly consider getting it outside when the weather permits. If it's cold right now a sudden transition would not be wise especially since it is so close to spring anyway.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Stray weed seems the most plausible. I'd just pull it. Looks like a crabgrass to me, just tiny.

Chaod666
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the answers, and once its warmer I plan to take it outside, but at the moment inside is the best bet for its survival, as for the soil, it was what it came in, I was planning on repotting it sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”