dionaelover

Just starting out with bonsai! I would appreciate help.

Okay, so I've always kind of wanted to try bonsai but have been a bit apprehensive. But I went ahead and bought one of those bonsai kits with the Jack Pine seeds and all that, and now I know that that "beginner's kit" is too advanced for me. I have all the supplies though, and I live in a very spacious farm with lots of wild trees and shrubs that could be options. We also have a GIANT forsythia bush where our old house used to be, about a 5 minute walk from where we are now. My mom has encouraged me to take a cutting, and I want to, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. Her way of "just stick the stem in water and let it root" doesn't really work out so well. I would appreciate some help with cutting, rooting, and eventually training it to grow in a full-cascade style. Thanks ahead of time! Oh, and if it helps, I live in the area around Jackson, Laurel, and Rockcastle county.

arboricola

dionaelover;

Here's a link that may help..

https://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/mg/manual/prop.htm

And another.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html

Phil...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

dionaelover,

I always try to discourage new enthusiasts form going the seedling/cutting route. This method is feasible but will take many years to produce anything that resembles a bonsai. If you really want to try go ahead but seriously consider purchasing or collecting some more mature material in the meantime.

For instance, rather than taking forsythia cuttings try to locate a large stump, with a trunk line, that can be dug. Look around your property and try to identify the trees and shrubs that are growing there. Once you have species names you can easily check if they area suitable bonsai specimens. This list should help.
https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/indexcommon.html

Also begin by exploring the links on this page.
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html

This one is exceptional as well but takes a little effort to digest.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

Read over the old threads on this forum to get some ideas of species and care. Don't forget your local library and try to determine if there is a bonsai club in your area.

Norm

uzeyr

trust me its worth buying one !!!
in a week u will get tired of the cutting just go round the garden centres or other places that are lickley to keep bonsai and then if u don't find any place there are some good online stores
keep the cuttings and grow them but at the same time u should at least have one little tree even if its the cheapest one u can find its a start
good luck

dionaelover

Thanks for the advice and links! I'll see what I can find.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I think the whole reason those "beginner bonsai" kits start you from seed is to get you researching. After all, you'll have two or three years of watching it grow, and nothing more, kind of like watching grass grow. :lol: Seriously though, how else can you justify charging $20 or so for a cheap plastic pot, maybe a pamphlet on bonsai, and a single seed with a tiny bit of soil? Pretty packaging, call it something exotic like "bonsai" and you have the marketing equivalent of the pet rock, really. :D

I haven't grown Forsythia as bonsai, sorry, although we have a ton of them on our property. From looking at them, it would not seem, to me, that Forsythia would lend themselves to bonsai very well unless you intend on producing a 2-3 foot specimen.

dionaelover

I can see how it may not seem like a forsythia would do well, but based on the growing habits of ours, it can be done. I see the most potential in an informal upright style, a literati, or, like I said before, a partial or full cascade.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

dionaelover,

While perhaps not the ideal specimen they do provide a lovely display while in flower, similar to Wisteria in this regard. Google 'Forsythia bonsai' for some pictures I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you decide to give it a shot go for a stump with a trunk-line rather than a clump. I have two I am playing with, be aware that they seem to not heal well so leave room for substantial die back when pruning. Later after the plant stabilizes you can go back and refine the site.

Norm

dionaelover

I've actually already googled it, and now I'm impressed! This may be a more interesting venture than I had expected! :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”