SaturnsPattern

Is my Bonsai soil suitable?

Ok, so lately I've been dealing with the issue of overwatering my plant. I've only been watering about once every two weeks, though, since it takes that long for my soil to start drying. Bonsaiboy pointed out in my other post that it might not be my watering technique that's the problem, but rather, what type of soil I'm using.

I'm going to post some pictures now showing what type of soil came with my plant. I suspect that the soil might be retaining water too well, which would explain why my plant is losing leaves due to overwatering.

[img]https://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr86/saturnspattern/bonsai3002.jpg[/img]
Lava rocks on the surface. I believe this part is fine.

[img]https://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr86/saturnspattern/bonsai3010.jpg[/img]
Moving some of the surface rocks aside, it kind of looks like the soil beneath it is nothing more than regular potting soil.

[img]https://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr86/saturnspattern/bonsai3009.jpg[/img]
After I scrape a larger amount of stones aside. (Sorry, I know this picture isn't the best quality)

So yeah, is this really regular soil beneath those lava rocks? I'm well aware that bonsai plant require a more free-draining medium.

Now, I found a garden center for my area which sells the following bonsai soil mix:
https://www.bonsaiwinnipeg.ca/Bonsai%20Basics/soil.html

Is this soil a vast improvement? Would it solve all of my leaf-loss issues?

Thanks for reading :)

Kenshin14435

It doesnt really matter what kind of soil you have, as long as it is free draining. that soil you have looks water-logged to me. That is very possible your problem under your leaf problem.

Just free Draining stuff will do fine.

Take Care

SaturnsPattern

Kenshin14435 wrote:It doesnt really matter what kind of soil you have, as long as it is free draining. that soil you have looks water-logged to me. That is very possible your problem under your leaf problem.

Just free Draining stuff will do fine.

Take Care
So you do suggest that I replace the soil though, right?

Kenshin14435

Yes,
I would. It does not look like it has enough grit(sand, small pebbles, etc.) in it. There are many sites where you can buy the materials to make/mix your own soil. Here is a URL to a site that I often use a reference to what kind of mixes/materials are out there.
[url]https://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/potting_medium_index.html[/url]

Look around through all of those different mediums/materials then list the ones that you think you would be able to find at a place like Home Depot on a pad of paper. Then you could go out and buy the materials to mix a new free-draining medium for your tree.

Heres something I read from a book that I own.

"...A good bonsai soil profile is approximately 25% water, 25% air and 50% solid particulate matter. However, when soils are compacted, an imbalance occurs. Solid particles are pressed together, and water and air are squeezed out. With less pore space, soils become too dense for the movement of air, water and nutrients, and the favorable environment for the beneficial microbial activity necessary in a healthy growing medium, is lost..."

So material like lava granules, pine bark, and various other stuff should be incorporated. Again, take a look at that link and look through all the various materials to see what is commonly used in Bonsai mix.

But yes, definatly, that soil is holding too much water and most likely drowing your tree. So I would replace that soil with something free-draining.

Take Care and Good Luck
Last edited by Kenshin14435 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenshin14435

Oh yes,
I almost forgot. If you can, find or build your own seive that is the smallest screen you can find. This will sort out material called "fines" which is pretty much a dust like material in soil that pretty much turns into mud when wetted. "Fines" can harm your tree in the long run but not immediatly so it is not something that has to be done but I do recommend it. I have seived the fines out of my Braz. Raintree soil that it came in and now it does not turn to mud when I water.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

SaturnsPattern,

The link you provided shows a medium that would be appropriate. There are others available as Ken pointed out but what you have shown will serve you well. Since it is in your country it may be less expensive to ship. Many authorities suggest re-potting Ficus in warm weather, but I have done this work 'out of season' and have noticed no problems.

Norm

SaturnsPattern

Alright, thanks fellas :o

I'll have to look into replacing the soil tomorrow. I want to do it asap so as to not harm the plant any further.

Thanks again Ken and Norm!

SaturnsPattern

Oh, and should I think about giving the roots a bit of a trim as long as I'm already changing the soil?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

At this point, with the tree exhibiting signs of stress, I think you should concentrate only on trimming away any roots that do not look healthy.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

SaturnsPattern,
At this point, with the tree exhibiting signs of stress, I think you should concentrate only on trimming away any roots that do not look healthy.
Agreed, and also make sure to remove all of the old soil. Since it is so poor it would not be wise to allow pockets of it to remain. You can use a basin of water or a spray attachment to help clean the roots. You may need some small pieces of screening to cover the drain holes as well.

After potting water the tree from above with what might normally be considered a ridiculous amount of water. This will help to flush out any dust that was present in the soil. Good luck and make sure to post new pictures.

Norm

SaturnsPattern

Thanks again :o I'll have an update

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Sorry I couldn't post any sooner. I just thought that I would recommend a site to get the best (in my opinion) bonsai soil for tropical types, assuming you haven't already done so. https://www.hollowcreekbonsai.com/productCat25273.ctlg Click on the professional tropical bonsai soil icon.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”