cpulsha
Newly Registered

Problem with juniper

Hi, I have a 8 yr old Juniper Bosnithat is currently showing some areas of black color at the tips. I'm not sure what this is and how to cure it as I am just a newbee to the Bonai. It is showing alot of signs of growth in other areas but the black areas really are starting to worry me. Any help would be great.

Thank you
Chip

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Black tips could be a number of different things, but the first to spring to mind is phomopsis, or juniper twig blight. This fungus starts at the tips and works its way into the heart wood, so removing the diseased wood is imperative. If the heartwood is dark or discolored (much like the blackening you're seeing, but in the core of the branch) you need to cut back until you see clean wood. This one can take out a juniper, but it's not real quick, so if you're catching it while it's in the tips, this is a good save. The best preventative for this disease is not to leave your tree wet at night when most fungii spore and spread; I like to water early mornings so the tree has time to dry out. Let us know how this turns out for you...

Scott

cpulsha
Newly Registered

Thank you for your help. I think that you are right in the fact that it is a fungus no that you have bought it to light. However, I only water it during the morning hours. there is a couple other things I should say before I go start cutting on George (yes I named the tree, kinda brings a little more closeness..and I talk to it too..LOL) I Live in Mission Viejo CA which is just south of Los Angeles so the climate has a little or no humidity normaly except now during the rainy season) I also keep the tree inside most of the time in a eastern window. I check the soil with a toothpick daily and usually have to water on Sundays. this is the first time I have kept a Bonsai inside, but it is doing the best so far until the black sposts on the tips. Like I stated before, there is alot of good growth, which I didn't think I would see till spring. I tell you all this in the hopes that you come up with the same conclusion about the fungus and I can correct it without hesetation. I just hate cutting on George, but if it is good for it I'll take care of it.

Thank You Again,

Chip

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Chip,

Nice to know the patient has a name, but it doesn't change the diagnoses one bit. Time is of the essence... :(

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”