Will
Newly Registered

Bonsai is dying, don't even know what kind it is.. help!! =(

hi guys, I'm new to the bonsai world, and hate seeing a good plant die =(. My girlfriend bought me a bonsai for my birthday and I love it.. I keep it in a well lite area next to my window, and I water it everyday, or everyother day.. its " leaves" arent really leaves, they are like pine needles, its a pretty small tree.. but none the less, its dying.. its hard, crunchy, and if I poke it too hard the needles come off.. ill send a pic.. b/c I have no idea what to do.. thanks,
Will

[img]https://bonsai.jpg[/img]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Without even fishing your message I immediately think that your culprit is overwatering. Watering everyday is most likely to much water. A tree with needles is naturally a tree that is suited to an environment that is prone to drought.

Anyway, test the soil with a toothpick by immersing the toothpick into the soil. If there is dirt sticking to the toothpick when you remove it, don't water.

Here are two prefered watering techniques:

1) Overhead watering: Use a watering can and drench the surface area of the soil with water until water exudes from the lower pot holes.

2) Immersion: Fill a sink with enough water to emmerse the entire pot. Place the tree (pot) in the water and let sit for about an hour.

Might as well put a third method in here as well:

3) Misting: You can buy a little mister and mist your tree as well as the above two methods.

Also, window sills are bad for bonsai. The temperature extremes that they have to endure between day and night cause the trees to be very unhappy. If you tree is actually on the sill, I would suggest moving it away from the window. Maybe get it a little table.

Good Luck!! :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like a juniper and frankly, it sounds dead. Right in a window can fry a tree if you are in a south facing; even west and east exposures can be too much light for some trees. Watering by the calendar is not a good idea; water when the tree needs it (Opa has given you some tools to know when that is...

Scott

Will
Newly Registered

Thanks all very much... I hope its nto dead.. I really want to keep this little guy going... I'm going to try to put it in a diff spot.. somehwere in my room... see I can giver her a kick start... thanks VERY much for all your help.. =)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Check for soil moisture before; if wet leave it dry for a few days, and if dry, then give it that soaking and THEN move it...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If you have a balcony of some sort, that might be a better place for it than inside. Fall is here and the tree needs to have it's dormant stage or it will not be as healthy.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good point Opa; Will, you should probably read some or all of the articles on the site pertaining to bonsai to get a better overview of what your tree requires...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Let us know how your tree does Will. Look forward to hearing from you. Also, invest in a good bonsai book. I have also read over a dozen books in the library. Never can have to much information.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Or keep checking in here. We love to help... :D

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”