Dr_Doogie_MD

Tiny little insects! How to kill?

You can't please all the plants all the time. Since I bought my Fujien Tea it's been dropping leaves but now it's on the rebound with a couple new shoots and blooming flowers. Then I notice my Bahama Berry (still unsure if that's what it is), which has overcome the "malsai" treatment, a rookie butchering, and a replanting, is now crawling with what I think are aphids.

They're very tiny and very numerous. There are dark green ones mostly all around the new shoots on the plant. Elsewhere, mostly on the the foliage, are light biege ones, slightly larger than the green ones.

Any recommendations on what to treat them with? I'm going to call New England Bonsai to see what they recommend and order something, but I'd love the advice from here as well.

Also on the subject, I like to spritz the plant once a day, the bahama berry sucks down water. Could this extra moisture have drawn them? Should I cut back or just stick to root watering?

Thanks guys!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If they are aphids, a shot of soapy water usually does the trick (in your case, it may take several shots). Or you can try a weekly mist of neem oil. Try the water method first.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's a good answer, Opa... :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Scott :)

Dr_Doogie_MD

Well that did the trick pretty well. It got rid of all the white buggers quite easily, but the green ones were tougher. I got rid of 99% of them, but some that were deep in the corners and clumps of the new growth were too touch to get out. After spraying I took a dry napkin and gently run it through the foliage and that swept up a bunch. I ordered some insecticide today as well (I'll probably need it down the road with the Fujien anyways) to finish them off, especially if their numbers come back in any manner.

Thanks opabinia!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Pesticide, Dr. Doogie? (he intoned, hackles up...)

Careful what you use there. Most are not really for home care, and many that are listed as safe are new enough where the testing won't be ready for a decade (Welcome to the new EPA).

Neem oil works wonders on most insects and mites and you could drink it with the only ill effects being those you would encounter drinking a like amount of olive oil (The Helpful Gardener does not recommend either of these actions and assumes no liability for anyone dumb enough to do either :roll: )

Pyrethrin based pesticides are daisy based (that's right, the flower) and are safe for indoor use, as is neem. I reserve judgement on the rest until I see a white paper from an independent lab...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I will second Scott's recomondation of not using pesticides. Most pesticides leave residues that can be very long lasting and not safe for indoors and not that great for your plant either.

The decision is up to you but, I would go with my original recommondation of using neem oil.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The Fukien tea may well be the issue here, as they are prone to insect attack. Keep an eye on that one as it will likely be the first one to get any bugs that show up...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”