Nmoney2012
Newly Registered

My chinese Elms leaves are turning brown and curling?

I bought a chinese elm off easterleaf.com I had to because thers no bonsai tree stores where I live. When it came the leaves weren't looking to great but I figured it was just from the shipping. I put it in my room and the next day the leaves looked horrible :evil: The bonsai's soil is cool and damp, it has a humidity tray and it still looks terrible. I'm not sure if it is because it's february up in maine, or if this just happens year around but it has me concerned because I have only had it for two days and it already seems like its dying. Help me please.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Nmoney2012,

My first thought was that this is reaction to being shipped from southern California to Maine in the dead of winter. Who knows what kind of conditions it experienced while in transit. Chinese Elms are pretty resilient and even if the current crop of leaves drop there is an excellent chance that it will recover.

Take care not to water too frequently as a tree with compromised foliage will not be using as much water than a similar specimen that is in good condition.

Read this for tips on proper watering:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479
I put it in my room
What kind of lighting are you providing this tree? A Southern window is best, lacking that East or West is second best and North the least appropriate. Some supplemental lighting would really be helpful if your lighting is not good.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Ditto Norm. My experience with chinese elms is that they are very quick to enter and leave dormancy. IOW, a day in the cold, and they'll start going dormant. But, bring a dormant tree inside and you'll see new buds in a very short time (days, sometimes a single day, to a week or so). I'd give it a chance to "relax" in a sunny (south, east, or west) window, and not water until the soil is slightly dry.

Nmoney2012
Newly Registered

Thanks for the tips guys, it is starting to sprout some new leaves and I am not sure what direction the sun is coming in but I will checek. Thanks for the help. :D

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Don't be surprised, as the new leaves come in, if it continues to lose the old leaves. Perfectly normal, IME.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”