antpfau44

What's a Good Liquid Fertilizer for Juniper Bonsai?

I need to get a liquid fertilizer for my Juniper Bonsai Tree. Does anyone have any suggestions of what a really good brand would be to get? I appreciate all the help for this new Bonsai grower. haha

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Fertilizer is really not that important in the winter. More important is dormancy, especially for a juniper. Is this tree inside?

MyBonsaiBuddy
Newly Registered

Hello,

The last poster is correct about the dormancy, but the juniper is a heavy feeder and if you have not fertilized it in a long time then I would recomend a low nitrogen or no nitrogen fertilizer in winter such as a 0-10-10 or 2-10-10 because the first number in the sequence corresponds to nitrogen which promotes new and vigorous growth which you do not want in winter. I don't know of any liquids with that exact mix but I use Bonsai Pro Liquid with great results which you can get on ebay cheap.Good Luck :D

antpfau44

Thanks, I haven't used any liquid fertilizers yet but I do have some slow release pellets that are in the dirt with it. So it is getting some fertilizer. Thanks again!!!!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

antpfau44,

Perhaps you do not understand the significance of the question posed by kdodds when he wrote:
More important is dormancy, especially for a juniper. Is this tree inside?
Junipers are a very poor indoor species and most experienced growers would not attempt to grow them as such. Has it been inside or out?

Norm

antpfau44

Well it has been indoors for the last couple of weeks because I got it when I was in Florida on vacation. I brought it back to North Dakota with me and when I got back it was -11 degrees outside. I was afraid to put it outside because I thought that the temperature difference was to great and the plant would go into shock. So yesterday it warmed up a little bit so I put the plant in my unheated garage so that it could get use to the temp. difference. Now today it got even warmer so I brought out into the sun to get it sunlight for the day. So it is outside now.

antpfau44

It hasn't even been a couple of weeks. It was like 10 days that it has been in the house.

uzeyr

I would keep it outside especially after what I have heard about juniper being kept indoors I would leave it outside unless u wanna loose the tree because I'm afraid that is what it comes to............

but maybe someone else may say diffrent.
hope that helped :D

antpfau44

I am defanately going to keep it outside. The only thing that I am afraid of is that the temperature difference was to great and the tree went into shock. I have been watching the tree and it still looks healthy. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

antpfau44,

I think you are on the right track in transitioning it outdoors. -11 was indeed far too cold for a tree that had not been properly hardened off. Now that temperatures are moderating it should be gradually adjusted to its new life outside. Outside when weather permits and sheltering it if temperatures threaten to go below freezing. Next year will be different, my Juniper has spent the winter outside (with proper protection) we have gone to -7.5F and I fully expect it to be fine.

Norm

antpfau44

Gnome,

Maybe this is a stupid question but what do you mean when you say "the proper protection"? Just curious.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

antpfau44,
Maybe this is a stupid question but what do you mean when you say "the proper protection"? Just curious.
Not a stupid question at all but there is no single answer. A lot depends upon your climate, the species of tree and other variables. I don't leave anything just sitting outside unprotected though others in milder climes may be able to do so.

For a Juniper in my area I keep it on the ground and mulched with shredded leaves. When snows arrive I pile snow on the mulch. There is a lot of residual heat in the earth and by insulating it with mulch and snow that heat is trapped and keeps the roots at reasonable temperatures.

I mentioned this somewhere here recently but I checked soil temperature in this very pot and found it to be 34F while air temperatures were 15F, a significant difference.

BTW, I'm sorry to have repeated myself. Sometimes these threads run together and I forgot we already discussed this in your other thread.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11865

Norm

antpfau44

Thanks Gnome,

All of this information is very helpful. Thanks again

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”