antpfau44

New Juniper

I have a Juniper tree that I just bought about three weeks ago. I have
had it indoors for the past three weeks because it has been getting below zero outside and I am afraid it will die. Now I know that these are not good trees to keep indoors. From what I have read it is almost impossible to do it. So far it has been pretty good. I haven't been watering it every day because I know that it needs a dormant stage during winter I also have it in front of a very good window so it is getting a good amount of sunlight everyday. I guess what I am asking is if anyone has any tips for me on how to keep this thing alive. I am new at this and I think they are very cool I just don't want to screw this up. Thanks

thebean

Junipers do not truely go dormant the may slow but do not go dormant. Get that tree out side or it will die. Most who have junipers let them get completely snow covered. if you a re worried about the transition of going outside put it in a garage or cold frame but don't let it dry out either. I am not a juniper guy but I know it cannot survive inside. Good luck

antpfau44

By letting it stay outside in that cold of weather won't the roots freeze and kill the plant? I don't mean to argue with you I have heard many people say that it needs to be outside but it just seems like that would kill it for sure.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Putting it outside without acclimating it to a North Dakota winter could very well kill it, and quickly. Do you have an unheated, but sheltered, garage or other out building that stays a little warmer where you might be able to acheive an acclimation period?

antpfau44

Yes I do have an unheated garage. I can put in there for a while before putting it outside. How long should I leave it in the garage before I move it fully outside? One other quesiton is then... I don't have to water it? Because the water would freeze correct?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

antpfau44,

What are typical temperatures in the garage this time of year? How long before you see spring-like temperatures in your area? considering it is so late in the season you might consider leaving it in the garage until temperatures are above freezing outside. Next year you will make other arrangements.

[url=https://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=winterscenevb8.jpg][img]https://img79.imageshack.us/img79/2122/winterscenevb8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Norm

antpfau44

Right now it is 3 degrees outside. I am guessing that it can't be much warmer in the garage. After today it is supose to warm up at least for the rest of this week. I think that it is going to get into the forties. So I figured I would keep it inside yet today and take it out to the garage tommorrow when it is a little warmer. That is the bad thing about living in North Dakota we have seen 60 degree temperature swings between days here. The temperature changes so fast so often there is no way of telling when it will start to warm up for good. But I figure that at least if I take it outside when it is a little warmer out than the change shouldn't be that hard on it. I can leave it in the garage for a day or two and then take it outside. I have a nice big tree that I can put it under for now to protect it from the elements.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”