SaturnsPattern

A few more questions...

Well, today I plan on going to the store to purchase some sort of flourescent lighting system for my (indoor) plant. I might as well get some organic fertilizer while I'm there.

A couple recent concerns:

1) Now that I'll have a lighting system, will the plant sort of think it's like summer again, and resume growth? And if it does, how often should I fertilize it?
2) How many hours/day should my light(s) be shining on my plant?
3) I know that bonsai's don't really respond well to being moved. How serious is it? Is it alright to spin my pot 180 degrees to water the back region, and then 180 degrees back? Like by this bit of movement will my plant have a bad response, or is this sort of movement really quite minor?

That's all I can think of for now, thanks everyone! :wink:

:D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

SaturnsPattern,
1) Now that I'll have a lighting system, will the plant sort of think it's like summer again, and resume growth? And if it does, how often should I fertilize it?
The additional light should help spur new growth. Once you see that you can increase your fertilization schedule. Every other week is my general routine for things that are actively growing. Perhaps a little more often early in the season (outside). Let the plant guide you, good growth = more fertilizer. What type of organics are you going to use?
2) How many hours/day should my light(s) be shining on my plant?
I keep mine on 16 Hrs and off 8. If you use a cheap timer you won't have to concern yourself with it.
3) I know that bonsai's don't really respond well to being moved. How serious is it? Is it alright to spin my pot 180 degrees to water the back region, and then 180 degrees back? Like by this bit of movement will my plant have a bad response, or is this sort of movement really quite minor?
When I first began t keep Ficus I had similar concerns and I found them to be unjustified. Don't hesitate to move the plant to water it or water its neighbors this is not really a problem. The concerns about moving a Ficus are more about introducing it to a new environment, for instance from outside to inside or the other way around. That is when you might experience some leaf drop. I have not seen wholesale leaf drop but I only have one variety so far. I know others have reported this phenomenon and I'm sure it is accurate but it has not been my experience with my variety.

Norm

SaturnsPattern

You've saved the day once again, Gnome :o Could you check your inbox? I've sent you a message concerning watering.

I've read that you can really be nonspecific about what type of fertilizer to offer your bonsai. I guess what I'll do is just pick one that looks promising at a store, and see how she works.

SaturnsPattern

Update:

Well, I couldn't find anything that read "organic" on the label, so I just went with some Schultz 10-15-10 Liquid Plant Food. Hopefully it's suitable for my plant.
I've posted pictures of my new lighting setup in the Picture section

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”