thats why I am skeptical
I was also wondering what temperatures they are supposed to
be in, in winter
and if any one could help that would be great

smurf

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

smurf,

I have a common Punica that I started form seed during the winter of 2006-07, it obviously did not have any dormancy that first year. During 2007-08 and this year as well I have allowed it a dormant period. It behaves exactly as you describe. The leaves yellow and fall off. I also have a few more that are a year behind the first so this is their first dormancy, I have seen no color (other than yellow) on any of them.

I have been taking a two stage approach to dormancy. Early in the season I put them in an unheated garage with my temperate trees. Later as the temperatures approach freezing there I transfer them to a cool basement until spring. I keep them above freezing but other than that I don't pamper them.

Norm

smurf

once my plant looses its leaves, should I keep it in a garage where there is no light, or leave it outside?
I live in central california so it doesnt get too cold in the winter
maybe at the lowest it gets down to the 30's

smurf

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

smurf,

It sounds like it could stay outside in your climate; but it might be safer to protect it if you expect a cold snap. I'm pretty sure mine have been below 32F on occasion but my record keeping is somewhat lacking. :oops: And, as I say, it is not the same variety as yours. No harm to err on the side of caution.

While dormant no need to worry about the lack of light, no leaves-no photosynthesis.

Norm

smurf

thankyou so much for all your help

one last question
if my tree were to die
how would I know its dead and not dormant?

smurf

bewildered_nmsu

lightly scratch the bark and if it's a healthy green underneath your tree is alive. By the way, the dwarf pomegranates at my work frequently endure 25-30 degree temps and more than a few 20 degree nights. They've been there for at least 10 years.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

smurf,
if my tree were to die how would I know its dead and not dormant?
Bewildered has a good tip there (thanks) Another similar method is to prune a tip from a branch and again look for green tissue.

For now though I think I would operate under the assumption that it is simply dormant. You'll know for sure a few weeks after the weather warms up. :wink: Make sure to check it, it will still need to be watered periodically but not as often as when it is actively growing.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”