takahashi
Newly Registered

Caring for Three Junipers - Am I Doing this Right?

Okay so here's the thing I got three junipers for Christmas. Not sure what kind but they have the short pokey leaves, if that helps.

Anyways, I got them then repotted them that same day. I used about 60% lava rock bits,(real small), 20% vermiculite and 20% soil. IS THIS BAD?

I look at my bonsai everyday, I mist about 4 times a day. The trees are not as green as they used to be, still very green just not as much. the branches are turning brown towards the main branch. NO browning on the tips though. Is this good?

Oh they are also indoor right under a window sill. Never any direct sunlight but a lot of sunlight. I open the window in the morning before work then don"t close it until night time. How does this sound to anyone?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

takahashi,
I got them then repotted them that same day. I used about 60% lava rock bits,(real small), 20% vermiculite and 20% soil. IS THIS BAD?
The lava is an excellent choice, unfortunately the other two components you chose are too finely textured and will overcome the good qualities of the lava. In bonsai drainage is important and by using a coarse component (lava) in conjunction with two finer components you have a situation where the small particles will filter in between the coarser ones impeding drainage. It would have been better to ask first.
I look at my bonsai everyday, I mist about 4 times a day.
Misting is well and good but it is not a substitute for proper watering. Read [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]this[/url] and concentrate on the portion about watering.
The trees are not as green as they used to be, still very green just not as much. the branches are turning brown towards the main branch. NO browning on the tips though. Is this good?
Branches that are green at the tips and brown closer to the trunk are a normal occurrence. As new shoots mature they will turn woody or lignify. If this is what you are observing it is normal. The overall color change is more worrisome.
Oh they are also indoor right under a window sill. Never any direct sunlight but a lot of sunlight. I open the window in the morning before work then don"t close it until night time. How does this sound to anyone?
If your temperatures are mild enough to open your windows then there is no reason to keep a Juniper indoors, indeed even if it were much colder there is no reason to except if a new plant has not been properly hardened off. Even then a cool room, garage, or porch would be preferable to inside.

Junipers are a poor choice for indoor culture regardless of what the retailer or generic instruction sheet says.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html

Norm

takahashi
Newly Registered

Hey thanks norm, I have put them outside and do you think that it is okay to repot them again with better soil? I really don"t want them to die off!!! One more question, the roots are in a very tight ball and I can't seem to get it spread out and rid of all the dirt, I don't want to rip the roots up. I have tried rinsing out the dirt under the faucet but it still won't come out, what can I do?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Have you tried manipulating the dirt, trying to break it up, with your fingers or worked through the root ball with a chopstick?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”