mosk1640
Cool Member

Ginseng Ficus Bugs!!!-(Fungus Gnats?)

So ive noticed recently that every time I spray/mist my tree I notice tiny bugs which scatter away from the moisture, mainly out from the mossy top of the soil. They appear to be tiny bugs with wings, almost like miniature flying ants or gnats. Are they harmful? If so, what should I do short of buying insecticide? Dish soap and water? There aren't many of them but just a few which scatter and I kill them when I see them. Like I said though, ive only noticed this issue within the past week or so.

Thanks for the help!

PS: The tree is ONLY indoors inside an office with numerous florescent lights above so the temp. is room temp, lighting ample and no outside exposure. I do keep it moist and humid by means of misting and humidity tray as well.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mosk1640,

Sounds like Fungus Gnats. If so the larvae are in the soil feeding on organic matter and/or your trees roots.

Unless you simply can't stand to lose it I would remove the moss. Then lay down a few slices of potato, the larvae should begin to feed on the potato and after a few days you can throw them away. Also, without the moss you will be better able to judge when to water. Fungus Gnats like damp, organic soil so letting the soil dry a bit more should help as well.

If you won't get rid of the moss look into a product called 'Gnatrol' It is a safe naturally occurring bacteria that will kill the little buggers without any health concerns for you.

Norm

mosk1640
Cool Member

Awesome! I will try that. Is it sprayable? I'm going to remove some of the moss and spray the Gnatrol. Is the Gnatrol harmful to the plant? furthermore, will these gnats kill my tree?

Matt

PS: Where do I get Gnatrol?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mosk1640,
Is it sprayable?
You use it to wet the soil and it kills the larvae not the adults. Here is a source that I easily found via Google.
https://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=PCGNAT32&eq=&Tp=
As you can see it is not cheap. If your infestation is not severe, as you previously indicated, the mechanical measures I outlined may be sufficient. If you use the potato method to act as an indicator you may find that between that, removing the moss and allowing the soil to dry a little more, the Gnatrol is unnecessary. Replace the potato slices every few days and you will soon see if their numbers are lessening.
will these gnats kill my tree?
I had a bit of trouble with them once when I used a manure based fertilizer. They were not fatal and in small numbers probably won't do much harm. They mostly feed on decaying organic matter but they may attack your roots. I would really try to get a handle on them early.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The potato method did not work very well for me. I wound up getting a "plant safe" spray, and using it in conjunction with glue traps and Gnatrol. It's a shame the Gnatrol only comes in such a large bottle. You won't use much of it (it's applied when watering), and it will eventually expire, probably 90% or so of it, before you can use it on a single tree. BUT, it does work wonders. If using a spray insecticide indoors, I've found it is better to remove th plant, spray the area, and then return the plant to the area 30 minutes or so later. If the spray gets on the leaves or in the soil, it can spell trouble.

SaturnsPattern

Back to the potato method though, <24 hours might not have been enough time for it to work.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Perhapse you could try, as this methode has worked well for me, using neem to keep the insects off. Because the stuff acts like a repellant and reproduction inhibitor, it will prevent them from laying more eggs on the soil, so eventualy perging them from the plant. Just spray some onto the soil surface and plant (more often in the soil then on the plant).

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”