mcarthy
Newly Registered

low temperature effect. How rescue?-(Aralia)

My Arelia is all wilted. I suspect that it got to cold. I am in southern california coastal and have been keeping it in an outdoor sheltered location for several months and it has flourished. last week we had a "cold" snap for here. The night time temps got down to the upper forties but not into the thirties. javascript:emoticon(':x')
See the before and after photos. What is the best thing to do to revive the tree?

mcarthy

https://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/mcarthy999/100_4959.jpg

https://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/mcarthy999/101_0523.jpg

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Oh goodness. Sadly, it's been my experience that Aralias do not recover from damage severe enough to cause the entire plant to wil, whether it be a root pruning or a temperature swing. Sorry. There's still hope, of course, since I am only one person. Others may have more encouraging tales.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Now, I'm not sure on this, but I think it will be just fine. I've heard tales before of Arelias recovering from several degrees of frost. A similar thing happened to all my philodendrons; they got some frost and all there leaves wilted and died. But, in less than two weeks, they got busy putting out new ones! So, if you were to keep it indoors, maybe some buds on the trunk will start sending out new leafs and branches. Even if the trunk is dead, it may branch from below the soil line, so there is still a recovery chance.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kdodds & bonsaiboy,

Thanks for the help guys, I don't mind admitting that I am a little 'out of my element' when it comes to certain species and this is definitely one of them.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

NP Norm. It's actually encouraging to hear about recoveries in Aralias. I know I'm not the only one who has been in the position of their failing so horribly, but it's good to hear that that expeience is not exclusive. IME, as bonsai, Aralias should be treated much like Schefflera, with the exception that Schefflera seem to be much more forgiving, for me at least.

mcarthy
Newly Registered

Thanks for the comments. I am keeping it inside and giving it some "medicine" (SUPERthrive -vitamins & Hormones ). We'll see , maybe it will come back. As you can see from the photo it has a nice large trunk.
Fingers crossed. It was started as stump but not by me.
I am pretty sure the temperature in the lower 40's did the damage because I also had a Plumeria (non-bonsai) that took some damage but not all leaves affected so I expect iy to revive.

By the way, has there been a discussion about SUPERTthrive? It is not a fertilizer but can be used with fertilizer. The nursery where I bought it told me that it is used by Pros and is a "must have". It claims to be an "Activator/Revivor", "Trans/Planter" and "Extra-Grower" . Haven't had it long enough to verify claims.

Oh, and also is it Aralia or Arelia???

McArthy

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Aralia, to the best of my knowledge. I use superthrive in conjuction with fertilization. Be careful not to overdo it. Mostly it's vitamins, minerals, that kind of thing. Many fertilizers now come with vitamins, trace elements, etc., added as well. For me, I notice stronger and longer blooms on some plants. On others, it does not seem to make a difference one way or the other.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

mcarthy,
If I were you I would wait for it to send out new shoots before you started to fertilize it. The shock of being frozen and stripped of leafs combined with the stress of fertilization may overwhelm it, expecialy if the roots have also suffered damage from the cold.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”