mosk1640
Cool Member

Ginseng Ficus issue

Hello all,

I have a large Ginseng Ficus with lots of new growth on top. My florescent fixture seems to be providing it with ample light, about 1700 lumens. It seems in good health but I noticed a few leaves, mainly larger and older one's beginning to turn yellow and then to brown slowly. Would this be a result of over-watering or under-watering? I only water when I feel the soil needs it.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It's difficult to impossible to tell just from a description why this would be happening. You say you water when you "feel the soil needs it", but what does this mean? Is the soil's surface dry? How about the soil in the center of the pot? What is the temperature around where the tree is kept? If it's near a window, it's likely cooler than the rest of the house, if near any heat sources, likely warmer. This can effect both the moisture retention of the soil and the growth and water uptake of the tree.

mosk1640
Cool Member

The temperature around the tree is room temperature all the time as it is in my office and not by the window. Furthermore, I water it using the toothpick method of testing the soil moisture content an inch below the surface. the soil seems to be a medium bonsai soil. Hope that helps and answers your questions!

Matt

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

If I were you, I'd water the ficus only when the very top of the soil becomes near (but never actualy) dry. Be sure to check out the site https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html for other information regarding ficuses. Another cause for leaf drop is the ficus is simply adjusting to a new location (if you've moved it recently). I also recommend you read another thread (I'll try and find it) that talks about a rotting disease found in ficuses that causes leafs to fall, before killing it. Not saying this is what it has, but best prepare yourself so it doesn't get it.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Here it is! I decided it would be better to just show you the whole thread rather than just a small extract of it, expecialy since it covers some of the problems your facing. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11083

Wike

I'm having the same problem as Mosk, However I have resently repotted and moved my Fukien Tea so maybe the leaf dropping is as a result of that. I only have one or two brown/yellow leafs and I actually think they may have been there when I bought it.

Good luck Mosk

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”