richm2778
Cool Member

Trident maple in South Florida

I just recieved a trident maple bonsai. I live in South Florida. I was told to put the tree in my refrigerator between Thanksgiving and the beginning of March. Do I water during this period? Fertilize? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rich

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Water only if soil becomes dry, no fertilizer.

richm2778
Cool Member

Should I really refrigerate it?

Kenshin14435

I wouldnt go below 20 degrees.......so maybe yes......but I'VE never heard of that...........

richm2778
Cool Member

No that I am an expert...yet, but I thought it sounded weird. The guy that answered the phone when I called the store I bought it from said that living in South Florida means I have to adapt the care of the tree. He said I needed to refrigerate it for about 3 months or so, in order to let it rest and refresh itself. He said that the tree is a Northern Tree, and it's cycles are all based on Northern weather. I have it in the fridge now, so I will just make sure it gets a blast of fresh air every day, and then I will make sure the temp stays between 40-45.

Rich

PS- Thanks for the advice.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Rich,

Keeping a tree that requires dormancy may be a challenge for you. What state is the tree in now, is it leafless? If so then I agree that you should continue to keep it dormant for now. This is important for temperate trees, without a dormant period most temperate trees will weaken and die after a few seasons.

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Bonsai growers routinely use refrigeration. Much of the time this is simply because the seeds they are growing require it and they are starting them off-season, or want an early start, or simply because they'd rather do it indoors than out. Being in a subtropical climate, as Norm said, may be tough if you're trying to keep temperate trees that require a dormancy period. In this case, yes, you'd need to use some method of cooling to simulate that dormancy period. A refrigerator, unless you have a dedicated cold box or something like it, is really your only option. You could send it north for the winter... ;)

richm2778
Cool Member

Hehehe.... Well, I have the tree in the refrigerator at work because I have more room in it there. I am the only one that uses the fridge, and I know it will not be disturbed. I am curious, though, I have the temp set to about 40 degrees F. Will this be alright? Also, how long do you all recommend that I keep the tree in there? I mean, The temps here are at about 80 or so during the days, and down to about the high 60's at night. I think that I will definitely need some shade for it during the summer as well. That part is not a problem. At this point, I am wondering when it is alright to bring it out of dormancy. Also, next season, with the weather staying relatively warm, will the leaves change color or fall off? If not, can I just put it into the fridge with the leaves on it, or do I have to defoliate it first?

Rich

Wike

richm2778 wrote: The temps here are at about 80 or so during the days, and down to about the high 60's at night. I think that I will definitely need some shade for it during the summer as well
Alright for some ey?? :evil:

richm2778
Cool Member

Absolutely Wike. My ficus bonsai loves it outside, and has developed quite a bit since being placed there. The Maple; however, would apparently not fare well outside year round. I am wondering about the summer as well. High temps outside during the summer can get up to the upper 90's, and down to the low 80's at night. I fear the tree may not be able to make it outside even during summer. I may have to keep it upstairs inside my house in my reptile room. In there, it would get fluorescent light, some humidity, and temps that are regularly in the mid 80's. Any thoughts? How about you, Norm?

Rich

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Rich,
I fear the tree may not be able to make it outside even during summer. I may have to keep it upstairs inside my house in my reptile room. In there, it would get fluorescent light, some humidity, and temps that are regularly in the mid 80's. Any thoughts? How about you, Norm?
In all honesty I am not in a position to give more than general information on this subject. I have no Tridents and my climate is much milder than yours. Keeping it inside would not be at the top of my list of things to try though. Look into a product called shade cloth, it may help to keep things a little cooler.
At this point, I am wondering when it is alright to bring it out of dormancy. Also, next season, with the weather staying relatively warm, will the leaves change color or fall off? If not, can I just put it into the fridge with the leaves on it, or do I have to defoliate it first?
Did you read the article I linked to earlier? I believe that both of these questions are addressed by Brent.

Norm

richm2778
Cool Member

Just keeping you all posted. I have had my Trident in a wine fridge for a few weeks now. It seems to be doing well. I am watering once a week of so, and I am planing on keeping him in there until about the beginning of March, or the end of February.

Are there any types of protocol's that have to be followed in order to "wake it up"? or can it go right from the fridge which is between 38 and 42 degrees into my yard which is between 75 and 85 degrees? All advice is appreciated.

Rich

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”