rhunyor
Newly Registered

Tiny worms in the soil...

Hello,

I have recently purchased "juniper chinensis shimpaku" from a local nursery and now, a few days later, have noticed small little worms that spin some sort of web over the soil in the pot. Odd I know. I was wondering if I should attempt to remove these or just leave them go? I assume they cant be doing much harm but then again I'm sure they cant be doing any good...

Also, upon reading the posts on this forum, I see that the juniper needs a "dormancy period", which has me scratching my head because when I bought it, it was in a humid greenhouse. Should I place my bonsai outside immediately or will it be fine by a window in a cold room?

Thanks for any help that you can offer me. This is my first bonsai so I'm a real novice when it comes to the care of them.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Junipers will, inevitably and almost without question, fail when kept indoors. So, yeah, moving it outdoors would be a good start. As for the worms, have you identified them? "Webs" would be more likely indicative of spider mites.

rhunyor
Newly Registered

I have yet to identify the worms. I haven't seen any mites or anything but I'll check. The worms look really slimy... that's about the only noticeable characteristic of them.

Well hopefully when I put it outside the mites and worms will die off. But its pretty cold up here right now... 27F. Is that going to be alright?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It's defintely better than keeping a juniper indoors, that's for sure. Just read around, all of the nebies who have purchased junipers, posted problems (especially those that are trying to keep them indoors) and note how many have dying trees, and how many have either never posted again, or have posted that their tree died. Then, look for the ones that have been successful keeping junipers indoors, and there's your real tell. Bet you can't find a single one. ;)

applestar
Mod

But... rhunyor can't just close his/her eyes, stick the plant outside and hope it'll survive. Going from 60's to 20's is quite a shock. Normally, there would be a relatively gradual acclimatization period, and it doesn't sound like it got that.

I've no idea how this would be accomplished at this point. To help it survive this winter, would it work to put the plant somewhere that can be kept above freezing like 35ºF ~ somewhere in the low 40's? (I'd have trouble finding such a location around *my* house, however...) Being evergreen, would it need light? Junipers normally need a lot of light, don't they? :?: :?: :?:

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It's a risk, yes, but here's how I look at it. Keep it inside, it WILL die, put it outside, it MIGHT live. I don't see that there's an option there. Sure, it can be tried, keeping it indoors. Keep it in a south window, maybe provide extra light as well. Repot into an akadama (or similar) and pine bark (or similar) mixture. Water copiously as needed (probably will be twice per day or more in a normal, dry, house), and keep humidity in the area up. Even doing this, failure is just about guaranteed. Check around. Find someone who's been able to keep a juniper indoors for an extended period. If you do, and you probably won't, pick there brain, write everything down, and post it here. I am personally trying a J. horizontalis at the moment. I don't hold out any great hope, it was more just something to try. So far, so good, knock wood, but it's only been a few weeks. Of course, this is about a week or two longer than many cases.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”