JTred
Green Thumb

Creating bonsai from cuttings?

What types of cuttings can you use to start a bonsai? Do they have to be softwood or hardwood cuttings? Can they be a branch or do they have to be part of the trunk/stem? What is the best medium for starting roots? How long does it normally take for roots to begin growing? Do you need rooting hormone to grow new roots? Sorry for the million questions I just think this is a great way to begin new bonsais and I'm not completely sure how it's done.

-Jack

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jack,
What types of cuttings can you use to start a bonsai?
You are not starting bonsai from cuttings you are starting new plants from cuttings that may become bonsai years down the road.
Do they have to be softwood or hardwood cuttings?
It depends upon the species in question and perhaps also the time of year you take them in.
Can they be a branch or do they have to be part of the trunk/stem?
Again, this is very much dependent upon the species in question. Some species, Willow for instance, will strike roots from thick branches. Others are best started from small softwood or semi-hardwood cuttings.
What is the best medium for starting roots?
I've been using the fines leftover from the process of making my general mix. Perlite is good, some use sand or peat or a combination of those.
How long does it normally take for roots to begin growing? Do you need rooting hormone to grow new roots?
Again, it depends, some species strike easily even without hormone others are tough no matter what you do.

Rather than ask such broad questions focus upon what species you intend to try. I have a book entitled 'The secrets of plant propagation' by Lewis Hill. It deals with most aspects of propagation including cuttings, seeds, divisions and layering of various species not just woody ones.

Here are a few links that should help.

https://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/pnw0152/pnw0152.html
https://www.actionvideo.freeserve.co.uk/cuttings.htm

Norm

JTred
Green Thumb

Thanks, the links were a big help.

Kenshin14435

I tired this with a few Japanese Maple cuttings. My luck wasn't everything but great. The chances of getting roots going are slim to none. But it could always be a good investment because they could turn out great and then years down the road be able to be formed into great Bonsai.
The only thing I really I have to say is goodluck.
Here's another tip though. If a neighbor of yours a kind of species you like and you can see seedlings of the same species at the base of the "mommy" tree, then ask your neghbors if you can maybe take a few. If they so no thats alright, at least you tried, if they say yes well, your in luck.
Thats how I got my Japanese Maple seedlings. LOL

Take Care

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ken,

Japanese Maples are not one of the easier species to get to strike roots. I've tried several times an the only time I had any luck was when I kept them under glass to keep humidity up.

Norm

Kenshin14435

Hmmmmmmm.....maybe I should try that when spring pops in.

Thanks Norm.

Take Care

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”