shiren

its just a new pinus thunbergii

ok... I'm not to sure what they got me into but I hope I can get out alive with some reward... this year I started to grow plants, mainly herbs, and my potted garden went well. but I wanted an indoor plant, so my mother was kind enough to get me a bonsai kit for Christmas, and since I have never grown a bonsai I did some research and found that my plant isn't exactly beginner friendly. I guess my problem is a type of plant but also a fusion of growing, pruning, and all around bonsai information(lingo and definitions) for my seek of knowledge.
Sincerely,
shiren

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shiren,

Hello and welcome. Bonsai kit huh?:roll: Does this kit contain seeds or what exactly do you mean by a 'kit'?

You have a long daunting road ahead of you starting with a Black Pine as a beginner, especially if its from seed. A small starter plant is not much better. Pines are difficult, they require a plan almost from the very beginning. Without one even if the tree lives you will end up with something without much potential as a bonsai. And BTW Black Pine is not suited to being grown indoors.

I don't mean to be discouraging but better to have realistic expectations than be disappointed. If you are really interested in bonsai there are other choices that will get you off to a better start. A Chinese Elm can be acquired without breaking the bank and will go a long way towards getting your feet wet. If you want an indoor tree consider a Ficus or perhaps a Schefflera if you like the looks of them. You can try the 'kit' if you want but pursue other options as well.

There is no way we can give you a crash course on bonsai on a forum like this. Here is some reading for you. Read everything on these page unless you are positive it does not apply to you.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

Norm

shiren

oh that's what I thought... OK so right now my black pine is still in its seed form do you happen to know how long it will take to germinate, and the kit was a pot and some seeds, do you know a store that sells different bonsai plants and in which season they sell them.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shiren,
OK so right now my black pine is still in its seed form do you happen to know how long it will take to germinate, and the kit was a pot and some seeds
Put the pot on a shelf somewhere and forget about it for a while. Don't start the seeds now they won't do well under low light conditions. Wait until spring when you would start other plants from seed and do it outside.
do you know a store that sells different bonsai plants and in which season they sell them.
I suppose it depends upon what you are interested in and where the retailer is located. I would be leery of purchasing a tropical now that would be shipped from or to a cold climate.

There was a recent question on this same subject.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11391

Norm

shiren

well then I guess its the waiting game till spring thanks for the information

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shiren,
well then I guess its the waiting game till spring
Yes that's the way it is with temperate species. All of my temperate trees are just resting until spring. That is part of bonsai if you want to work with these species. If you want something for inside during the winter how about a nice Ficus. They can go outside in summer and you bring them in when it gets cold.

Norm

shiren

I think I'm going to try and get a ficus when spring hits, when I get all my other herbal supplies

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Some pines will respond well to being "wintered" in a refrigerator, in a pot, for 30 days or so and then brought out and into the house. I've heard of black and red pines being germinated this way, although their "spring" usually occurs in a greenhouse.

shiren

well, you do know I live in Georgia, weather here is really mild (barely touches freezing) should I put it in the refrigerator, and let it germinate in the house or should I just place it out side and see if that helps

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shiren,

It is my understanding that Black Pine does not require stratification (cold chilling) as might Maples. In the book 'Pines' from the publishers of Bonsai Today Kusida Matsuo makes no mention of stratifying seeds of this species. A direct quote is:
'Store the bag in a cool dry place that is protected from insects and critters. Sow the seeds in early spring. First soak them for three days. Any that float are dead, so throw them away'
I have never tried Black Pine from seed but I did successfully germinate Scots Pine without stratification.

Norm

shiren

oh ok well this may be really fun oh and are there any good bonsai trees that bloom? if they take 15 years to grow might as well as get a few of them and experiment...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shiren,
are there any good bonsai trees that bloom?
Sure, shown below are Azalea, Crabapple and Cherry. There are others, for indoors how about Fukien Tea.

[img]https://www.cherryblossombonsai.co.uk/Images2006/Azalea/SmallOvalFlower.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.cherryblossombonsai.co.uk/Images2006/OtherOutdoor/MalusCera2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.bonsai-nursery.co.uk/images/Cherry..jpg[/img]
Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

One of the prettiest flowering indoor trees that, for me, is also incredibly easy to care for, is the Barbados Cherry. You might also want to look into Anisodontea, with pale green, oak like leaves and tiny, hibiscus like flowers. It's difficult in that it grows at angles and is a bear to wire, if you even can. But if you're okay with a broom style (or something like it) and shaping through pruning only, it's a nice plant.

shiren

O.K so my black pine is growing, hehe got to love georgia weather, do you have any helpful hints on keeping it alive and growing for the first year. I imagine that is going to be the hardest part, keeping it alive and not messing with it. so any advice will be wonderful.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shiren,
do you have any helpful hints on keeping it alive and growing for the first year.
Give it as much sun as you can. I don't know how warm it is where you are but when I started Pines before I did so after it was warm and I kept them outside from the start.

Also, when I start seeds I always start with much more than I think I will need. Not all germinate, not all thrive, not all survive the first re-potting, not all show good characteristics for bonsai, etc, etc. With only one seedling the odds are against you.

Consider purchasing some starter material, perhaps even of a different species. Pines are difficult, not to grow but to make into good bonsai. There are some very specific things you need to know in order to make a decent bonsai from one.

Norm

shiren

LOL, yes I know the chances of it surviving and actually being a good bonsai tree is slim, and I am going to get some more plants in spring, but I am really excited about it, I didn't think it would germinate...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”