richm2778
Cool Member

Please Help My Ficus named Buddha!

Hello Everyone.

I am new to bonsai, and I have a ficus retusa that has unfortunately been the brunt of my mistakes so far. I have named him Buddha and he is a trooper. I purchased Buddha last August from a Wal-Mart for 14 dollars. Apparently, he was 6 or 7 years old at the time. I recently repotted Buddha and I apparently read some bad information about root pruning. I took too much off!!! Since then, Buddha has been repotted and he has been treated with rooting hormone and fertilizer. I was wondering if any of you have any tips about how I can stimulate growth and help Buddha to recover from my error... I would hate myself if he died because of my ignorance. Any elp is appreciated.

Rich

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Rich,
I was wondering if any of you have any tips about how I can stimulate growth and help Buddha to recover from my error.
Patience. It will simply take a while to reestablish itself. You don't say if it is showing any obvious signs of distress or is simply not as vigorous as it had been.

I was going to mention to make sure you provide warmth and light but in your location that should not be too difficult. Just wait it out and take it easy on the fertilizer until it shows signs of new growth. Some say not to use any but I don't subscribe to that concept. Since you've fertilized it already just go slow at first. An occasional misting certainly won't hurt either.

I'm almost afraid to ask what kind of soil you've used when you re-potted it, hopefully something free draining and gritty as opposed to heavy and peat-like.

In the future always do your research first and act second. I've made some stupid errors like this in the past.

Norm

richm2778
Cool Member

Thanks Gnome.

I am using Bonsai soil from BonsaiBoy.com as well as some thicker, peatier soil. I have about 15% peatier soil, and 85% gravelly stones. I understand it will take time. Buddha has not ever been very leafy at all. He has not been defoliated ever, and he will not be until he has had ample time to recover. At this point, he is simply living the good life on a pedestal in my yard. He gets plenty of sunshine, and he gets either rain or hand-misted(spray-bottle) on a daily basis because it is so hot. Our winter temps are often over 80 degrees, and his soil dries out very easily.

I am planning on not touching him for a long time now, and letting him develop new feeder roots. I will fertilize every other week with a few drops of Miracle Grow.

I am psyched, though because my new Trident Maple will be here by 1/2/09, and I am planning on repotting it immediately into a grow pot. I want to develop a nice thick trunk and lots of visible roots. I am hoping that once it is repotted, it will grow, grow, grow! Maybe in 6 months to a year or so, it will have developed enough for me to bonsai it.

My White Oak should be here by the end of January and that, too, will be a fun experience. I am told that the trunk is already well developed, and that is is about 2 feet tall. Perhaps I can bonsai it relatively soon and focus on developing small leaves and a thicker canopy.

I know that 6 months does not seem like long enough, but plants grow so quickly in this area, I would not be surprised. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Rich

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Rich,
I am using Bonsai soil from BonsaiBoy.com as well as some thicker, peatier soil. I have about 15% peatier soil, and 85% gravelly stones.
OK, I would not have included the peat but my climate is very different than yours. If it seems to be working for you that is what counts.
He gets plenty of sunshine, and he gets either rain or hand-misted(spray-bottle) on a daily basis because it is so hot. Our winter temps are often over 80 degrees, and his soil dries out very easily.
Misting is not an adequate substitute for thorough watering. And the inclusion of the peat makes thorough watering important. It might seem counterintuitive but peat is difficult to re-wet once it dries.

Norm

richm2778
Cool Member

Thanks so much. I will be sure to give him some water every day that it doesn't rain, than. I know it sounds crazy, but when I saw a few of his leaves turn yellow and come off, I kind of freaked. I feel responsible for his well being. I know it sounds goofy, but I kind of look at Buddha the same way I look at my dog.... as a member of the family.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Rich,
I know it sounds goofy, but I kind of look at Buddha the same way I look at my dog.... as a member of the family.
This does not sound goofy at all, both are living things that rely on you for their well being.
I will be sure to give him some water every day that it doesn't rain
Don't give it 'some' water, water it thoroughly each and every time you water. Water should flow from the drainage holes to ensure the soil is properly saturated. Timing is the real trick, in your climate you might need to water every day, you need to check it and decide. BTW even on rainy days don't rely exclusively on rainfall to water your tree it may not receive as much as you think.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”