craigjeynes
Newly Registered

WATER CARE

Is artficial uv light good enough for a bonsai to grow in?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It depends on the species and the light. Some UV lights would toast a plant, others would not put out enough PAR. Plants that require dormancy will need to be kept outside and will not need supplemental lighting. Plants kept indoors may or may not need supplemental lighting. What species did you have in mind?

craigjeynes
Newly Registered

can tap water harm bonsai's?

craigjeynes
Newly Registered

japanese red pine,trident maple,and japanese privet.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

All of the trees you've mentioned should be kept outside. As to whether or not tap water can be harmful, it depends on the tap water. Hard water is generally not good, but softened water can be very rich in sodium and would not necessarily be great either. Some locales may see seasonal runoff from agricultural endeavors that are very rich in phosphate and nitrogenous (ammonia/ammonium, nitrate, nitrite) nutrients. As well, tap water rich in chlorine/chloramine is not the best thing for plants. If you're on a municipal water supply, you should be able to request an assay from your locale government.

craigjeynes
Newly Registered

thank thats really helpfull.as a more or less novice I need all the help I can get.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

craigjeynes,

As kdodds noted not all tap water is the same and not all plants have similar requirements. I have well water and it is fine form most species, but it is hard and has a lot of Lime in it. Some species don't mind it and others, Azaleas for instance, are better off with an alternate source of water. I've been using water from a dehumidifier to cut my hard well water and reduce the level of calcium for these species.

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Its also possible to use vinegar to adjust the alkalinity of water, but that is for those that understand alkalinity -v- pH and such :-) If chlorine is an issue, either technical or personal, just let the water sit for a few hours, or overnight, as chlorine degases *very* rapidly out of solution when not in an enclosed container...

If/when deposits might build up in/on soil, just flush pot/soil well every couple weeks (or months) and should not have any issues with 99% of 'bonsai'-type species

Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”